MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2001, 11:28 PM   #1
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Post Sound deadening install: results (Dynamat wannabe)

So...I got bored and decided I needed a time consuming project for my car. I was snooping around and found B-Quiet...a Dynamat-type sound deadening material. Looked like a good deal. Bought it from http://www.b-quiet.com/ and got the 90 square foot roll.
I tore apart my hatch and rear seat area and found a lot of bare metal. After just having been on a length highway trip, I decided my car was much too noisy inside (wind noise, gear whine, exhaust) and maybe this would help.
Out came the subs, both amps, the rear seat, and panels all around the back of the hatch.
This stuff has a tar-like adhesive back, and gets really sticky. They said to use a hairdryer to heat it up but I just rolled it out on the driveway on a sunny day and it got real hot that way and melted. It cut nicely with a razor blade and you can use lots of small pieces or a few large pieces, or mix and match. I did the entire spare tire well, flat area in the floor of the hatch, the rear area by the taillights (all bare metal), flat area inside the hatch, the backs of the panels in the hatch, the hatch itself underneath where the single panel attaches, the back of that panel, and all under where the rear seats go. I could not access my doors to do them since my custom speakers pods hold in the door panel and are screwed in...can't remove the door panels.
Anyways. Test drive. The car is definitely much quieter. Not a HUGE change, but it is now easy to talk in a quiet voice to the passenger at 80 mph (windows up of course). Gear noise is MUCH harder to hear (used to be loud before). I managed to get the material to cover the driveshaft tunnel for the most part. The exhaust note inside the car is also reduced a lot. Overall I am happy and managed to wind up 4 screws short upon reassembly, so I added new ones and now every hole has a screw for the panels. (Stereo must shake them out in time)
I am going to try taking out my seats and lifting the carpet as I think a lot of noise comes through the floorpan too. I still have a little more than half the roll left and managed to do the entire hatch and rear seat area (most of it had just 1 layer, spare tire well and some panels had 2 layers). If only I could get into the doors...oh well.
Oh yeah, and it now takes a lot more bass to make stuff vibrate in the back. Doesn't sound like a cheap POS when I'm listening loud I'd say this is worthwhile if you spend a lot of time on the highway, or have a significant stereo.
The entire 90 square foot roll tipped the scale at 32 pounds, and like I say I have only used half thus far and noticed a nice improvement...you can drop this weight removing the spare at the track anyhow Later!

------------------
'91 LX Hatch, 17 ROH ZR6's, lowered, 3.73's, offroad H pipe, SN Cobra cat-back, ASP pullies, 14° timing, C&L 76mm MAF, 170A 3G, B&M Ripper on a T5
Best ET pass: 14.593 @ 94.62
Best MPH pass: 14.728 @ 95.72 (75°, 75% hum., 2200')
1991 LX Hatch 5.0L
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 12:54 PM   #2
Power
Registered Member

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like a decent alternative to the more expensive dynamat. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for passing on the good information like that.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:24 PM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Yeah, jonnyk, thanks for the info.

The ONLY reason why I wouldn't put that in my car is b/c in a few months, I will be buying another car. Thus, the stang will only be a 2 to 3 (or less) day/week ride.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: