MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-03-2001, 04:42 PM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up Speaker help

OK here's the deal. I have a stock Mach 460 setup in my 96GT ragtop. The factory speakers have seen better days (actually I think the fronts are worse than the rear) so I want to do some swapping. I want to keep everything stock (except the speakers) as I want to spend my money on performance first. What speakers would be good replacements. And for that matter what size are the speakers? There's two in each door(behind the sideview mirrors and down by the kick panels) and 2 on each side panel in back. I don't need anything super high performance just something with decent quality that's better than the factory. Any help would be appreciated and if I left any info out let me know.

Thanks in advance

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 07:56 PM   #2
LbFaMv8StANg
Registered Member

your gonna run into a slight problem here..blame it all on the mach system..if your gonna replace the stock speakers, you should get rip of the entire mach sytem completely...the stock speaker have a higher ohm level than aftermarket speakers..if you replace them, your gonna have to buy a speacial adapter for every speaker that you plan to install...plus the sound quality will be no where near what the mach system was putting out (because of the different ohm levels) your best bet, and what i just did (which sounds great, 100x better than the mach), is buy never speakers, rip out the stock amps, and get a new 4 channel amp to push your new interior speakers...you have many options...give my an idea of what you want to do and how much u wanna spend and i can set you off from there

------------------
Red 96 GT
K & N
Steeda Tri-Ax
White Face Gauge
Killer System

LbFaMv8StANg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 11:03 PM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

First, thanks for the response. To answer your question, I don't know... i'm kind of flying blind here. I obviously don't want to spend a whole lot but would like to have a sound at lest equal to a brand new Mach setup. I don't know how badly my system was beat up before I got the car. I know it doesn't sound tip top right now and that's what i'm trying to remedy. How much did you spend on your setup? I'm sure most stereo enthusiasts would disagree with me but I liked the sound of the Mach 460. I'm not looking to thump the windows out or anything I just want good crisp sound with decent bass that I can listen to when the top is down. Maybe it would be cheaper for me to replace with stock speakers... I don't know. Something more elaborate might be in my price range I just have no idea what anything costs.

Thanks again for the help.

It's cool you have a 96GT. We're kind of the b*stard children around here with our low stock HP

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote