MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2001, 04:23 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Post stereo question for Power...Please help

Power, since you are in the stereo business I thought you might know the answer to this question. I have a Sony 270watt home stereo system and I can't get the volume past #3 without the disk skipping. It has lots of bass and is pretty loud at #3 even. It just seems the bass is effecting the disk operation. It's about 10yrs old now and it didn't do this when it was new. Would getting the disk laser re-aligned help anything? Or do you think the speakers are too close to the unit? I want to be able to turn it up more and really jam the neighbors out!!
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 11:16 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Since it doesnt look like Power is gonna help you, He was probably installing a monster system and got trapped under the speaker box or something.

I have a loud home stereo just like you and if I put the speakers too close to the stereo sometimes it will skip cause of the bass.

If your stereo is on a hard floor that could make a difference in my old apartment I had the stereo on a tile floof and it would skip with the bass up loud on it.

In the apartment that I live in now I have my stereo on carpet and it doesnt skip anymore so if your stereo is on a hard surface maybe throw a rug under it or something to absorb the vibration.

If the laser alignment is off usually it will skip at all volume levels not just when you crank it.

Good luck

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
best 60 ft 2.14, best 1/8th 9.65, best 1/4 15.2 @89mph, Stock gears and 3000+ Altitude
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 12:44 PM   #3
Power
Registered Member

I'm terribly sorry 82GT. Being as I'm in the army sometimes things happen that are out of my control. I was trapped into a firing range all week and haven't been home at all.

As for you question, 5.0HO hit the nail on the head. While it may not feel like any vibration to you, having subs on the floor will set up a resonance through the floor that can mess with the laser. Being as its 10 years old I'm sure age would make it easier to skip as well. An old rug or carpet should definitly help. I'll be on tonight again after work if you have follow up questions.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 03:19 PM   #4
82 GT
Import Slayer

Thanks guys for the advice. I have 2 12inch JL subwoofers that used to be in my car and I brought them in and hooked them up to my house stereo. I realized after I posted my question that my subs were right next to the stereo cabinet. I moved them away and I might put some foam padding between them to help absorb some vibration.
My stereo is on carpet. I will let you know how it works the next time I get a chance to crank it or the next time the neighbors act like *** ***** with there stereo.
I never had the laser realigned so I guess it's way over due...huh? Would I notice a difference in quality when I get that done or not really? How much does a shop usually charge to do that?
Thanks again
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: