MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-07-2003, 09:23 PM   #1
brussell
Registered Member

Default Strange problem..

I have not rode my pony for about 6mos just sits out in the yard..Had this problem took it to several mechs tried many things had no luck so i parked it...Its a 86 GT with 86 thousand on it it got to where when it would warm up and it would start jumping and jerking when giving it gas or letting off of it had a bad idle would die at red lights and stop signs so finally i just parked it...Found new love in it and want to get it going again i have read around here and it sounds like it may be the coil-pick up can i get any input on anyone else that may have had this problem?

Brussell
brussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:53 AM   #2
tommyinla
Registered Member

Default Re: Strange problem..

Quote:
Originally posted by brussell
I have not rode my pony for about 6mos just sits out in the yard..Had this problem took it to several mechs tried many things had no luck so i parked it...Its a 86 GT with 86 thousand on it it got to where when it would warm up and it would start jumping and jerking when giving it gas or letting off of it had a bad idle would die at red lights and stop signs so finally i just parked it...Found new love in it and want to get it going again i have read around here and it sounds like it may be the coil-pick up can i get any input on anyone else that may have had this problem?

Brussell

try and pull some codes. you may have gotten water into one of the sensors or even into the ecu itself (the computer)

67 Mustang 289. Holley Red electric fuel pump, 4 speed toploader, dual exhaust, torq thrust IIs (real soon!)
tommyinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:20 AM   #3
brussell
Registered Member

Default Codes...

Its giving no codes what so ever running or not..Just not sure i will check for water though that could be it..Thanx for the reply..Has a brand new computer...
Old 02-08-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
srv1
Get down.....

check the firing order. ever try a new batch of gas? how old is that gas that is in the tank?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
brussell
Registered Member

Default Gas..

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1
check the firing order. ever try a new batch of gas? how old is that gas that is in the tank?
Well i was driving the car every other day so i kept fresh gas in it.The problem just started out of the blue one day.Drove ran fine one day then the next started with an irattic idle then just got worse with time was i could park it for 8 hours at work then it would run fine for a mile or so then it would start jumping when giving it gas..It would die when i would stop..So i took it spent $175.00 on a complete tune up and then a new computer then like 9 sensors and a egr valve had the injectors cleaned nothing has got rid of the problem yet ..
Old 02-08-2003, 07:20 PM   #6
tommyinla
Registered Member

if it's doing it right after it warms up a bit, i'd be willing to bet it's your ignition module... it's the little grey thing that bolts onto the side of the distributor... change that and see if it fixes the problem. they're cheap anyways.

67 Mustang 289. Holley Red electric fuel pump, 4 speed toploader, dual exhaust, torq thrust IIs (real soon!)
tommyinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 07:50 PM   #7
brussell
Registered Member

Default I will...

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyinla
if it's doing it right after it warms up a bit, i'd be willing to bet it's your ignition module... it's the little grey thing that bolts onto the side of the distributor... change that and see if it fixes the problem. they're cheap anyways.
Give that a try i will run up to advance tommorow pick one up....
Old 02-08-2003, 09:38 PM   #8
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Before you buy a new TFI module, take it to the auto parts and have them test it. I thought that was the problem and it tested fine. It turned out to be the pickup coil. Unless you have a press or have access to one, you will never get the pickup coil out. If that is the problem I would suggest just buying a new distributor, but I'm lazy and got tired of trying to get the gear off of it. Just a thought.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:17 PM   #9
FireFinder20
I See Stupid People

check the fuel pressure regulator as well...if it's bad, you'll have fuel in the vacuum line...

just my .02

Visit Central Jersey Mustangs & Fords
FireFinder20 is offline   Reply With Quote