MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-20-2002, 02:26 PM   #1
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Default Sub box question...

I've got a Rockford Fosgate Punch Z 10" in a truck box in my 92 gt(hatchback), It is in the trunk pointed right at the hatch and it hits suprisingly hard for what it is(powered by 150rms kenwood amp). It's not very clean though. I thought maybe this was because of the box. If I got a new box would it sound better without sacrificing loudness? I have my rear seat deleted and I had tried moving the sub to right behind my drivers seats and it hardly put out any sound at all right there, I moved it back to the trunk and it's loud again. What kind of box should I get if I got a new one or should I just leave it alone? Also i'm using some thick lamp cord for speaker wire from the amp to the sub. Would buying some good speaker wire help at all or since my setup isn't very nice is it fine like it is?
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:47 PM   #2
srv1
Get down.....

new speaker wire and a medium hatch style sub box. point it towards the tailights. what are cutting the subs at? are you bridging the amp? how many 10's do you have?
Old 07-25-2002, 11:39 PM   #3
jj_jonathon
Trisket

check your wiring (like srv1 said with bridging)...you may not be giving it enough power..you need power for clarity (and a decent sub)...10s are usually clean down to the 30hz region...also check your headunit settings...maybe you have the low tones and bass up all the way or something silly like that...but i dont see why you should need anything thicker than 10gauge wire for power to a 10" RF sub...but if youre using plain 24gauge speaker wire, maybe you should spend a couple of bucks on a setup kit...buy em at circuit city...etc...real nice and clean...come with a fuse box too.

-jonathon

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:21 AM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

replace that lamp wire with some better wire.

How many cubic feet is the box? Does it match the sub? Is it a sealed or ported box?

What are you gains set at? It may sound sloppy because it's distorting.

I find I get good bass, by pointing my subs straight up.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:03 PM   #5
FivepointOH
Registered Member

I have 1 10" the amp is bridged and the box is sealed... i have it pointed up right now... not sure about the size of the box.... i'll have to go buy some new wires
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34

Lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote