MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   test drive for the hell of it? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=41792)

82 GT 03-03-2004 02:14 PM

test drive for the hell of it?

Has anyone ever just gone to a dealer and ask to take a mustang for a test drive just for the hell of it?
I've been thinking of going up to my local Ford dealer and ask to take a new '04 GT for a test drive....just for fun.
There's no way I can afford a new car right now but they don't need to know that...........right?:D
I thought maybe I could make an afternoon of going around taking test drives...LOL
How often does the salesman go with you because that would put a damper on the "fun" factor....huh? I know of a few place that they don't go with you and they just toss you the keys.
Has anyone ever done this...or is this just a crazy idea?
BTW, they have a beautiful new Mach1 on the show room floor.
It's orange with the black mach 1 stripes........it's nice.

302 LX Eric 03-03-2004 03:29 PM

I personnally wouldn't do it if I wasn't serious about buying in the near future, but that's just me. ;)

As for your other question regarding the old 'sales guy ride along thing'...well, when I test drove a new 2004 F-150 a few months ago, the sales guy just tossed me the keys and asked for a copy of my drivers license. Of course, I guess test driving an F-150 and a Mustang are two different things. So, I dunno. :D

I betcha if you asked to test drive a Mach 1 or Cobra the owner would probably want to ride along! :D

E

mustardjohn 03-03-2004 07:02 PM

I did it.

I was kind of serious since I have a 3.8 and really want a GT but the $5000 difference to go to the 04 GT was just too much

After I drove it I almost went an got the $5000!

Sales guy did not go along.

I didn't burn the tires or anything so I did not feel too guilty.

My punishment was sitting through the sales pitch and finding out how really bad I would like to trade out of the 3.8.

Don't do it if you can't stand knowing what you are missing. I could have driven a Mach 1 that was sitting right next to the GT. Now that would have been some real punishment.

82 GT 03-03-2004 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mustardjohn

Don't do it if you can't stand knowing what you are missing. I could have driven a Mach 1 that was sitting right next to the GT. Now that would have been some real punishment.

I'm not sure if I would "miss it" because I do have my '88GT(which I'm sure doesn't compare to the '99-up GTs) and I have my bad *** '82GT which is faster than an '04GT and and probably as fast or almost as fast as that mach1
Since my '82 is on the road yet, that has yet to be seen(in all fairness)
Maybe if I do take that test drive, I 'll hurry up quicker and get the 82 on the road.....:D
Hmmm....maybe some good could come out of this test drive after all...........:D

xxxBlakexxx 03-03-2004 08:52 PM

Some dealers are harder to do this with than others. Some sales guys get paid bonuses for going on test drives even if you don't buy. A good sales manager will make the salesmen go with the potential client.

I think honesty is the best policy. Stop by a few lots. Hey, no one ever acts too interested. You would be surprised. Often times the guy who appears to not have the bucks is the one who pays cash for a car. A good salesmen will recognize that you may not be ready to buy now, but if he treats you right, you will come back...even if it is years later.

Go on a slow day and you will probably have the best luck. Find a salesmen who likes a good excuse to go for a drive in a Mustang. Having your Mustang will help too.

I have taken my Suburban to a few places and got immediate test drives in a Navigator and a Hummer to name a few.

When I was a senior in college, my buds and I did this all the time. It was fun. And, we all bought new cars before graduation. Of course it probably helped that the dealer knew that we would also.

You may have a harder time getting to drive the lower volume cars (Cobra's and Mach's). The REAL potential buyers of these things like no miles on the odometer.

Have fun!

nydon 03-03-2004 08:54 PM

It's funny you mentioned all this cause that's how I ended up w/ my '03 GT....the plan backfired though cause I was hooked and couldn't stop thinking about it after the test drive.
Thank God I didn't test drive the Cobra...would had to given up other things to put it in my budget...

tireburner163 03-04-2004 12:21 AM

My older brother and I test drove a 03 Mach 1 for the hell of it.

Very sexy car btw:cool:

-Josh, aka the tireburner

Fox Body 03-04-2004 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mustardjohn
....My punishment was sitting through the sales pitch ...
I'd have to be REALLY in the test drive mood (and I mean REALLY) knowing that I'd have to put up with a salesman's crap... :D

bigbandjohn 03-04-2004 05:26 PM

Re: test drive for the hell of it?

Quote:

Originally posted by 82 GT
Has anyone ever just gone to a dealer and ask to take a mustang for a test drive just for the hell of it?

How do you think I ended up with my Cobra? I was looking at other cars and saw it on the lot... took it out on a whim and signed the papers that day!

82 GT 03-04-2004 10:29 PM

NYDON , I hope that isn't your '03 GT under that pile of snow in your avitar.
If it is, then that's a mortal sin........in my book.
Dude, you have a two car garage. Get that baby inside out of the snow...........come on!!.........LOL

stacy's stang 03-05-2004 06:51 PM

That's how we ended up with our Mach 1. I went to buy a Thunderbird but they wouldn't come up with the extra thousand I wanted for trading in my Firebird so my husband test drove a Cobra while I was dickering with the salesman. I got ticked off and left. I came back after a few minutes and my husband said he wanted the Mach 1 in the showroom because they would give him a good trade in on his Jeep Liberty. He left happy and I went to a Ford place in the next city and got my GT and the trade in $ I wanted for my firebird the next month.

nydon 03-05-2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

NYDON , I hope that isn't your '03 GT under that pile of snow in your avitar.
If it is, then that's a mortal sin........in my book.
Dude, you have a two car garage. Get that baby inside out of the snow...........come on!!.........LOL

I know it's a sin...please forgive. It's my g/f's house and she converted it into an office. I offered to change it back to a garage at my expense. If it makes you feel better...i don't drive it in the snow due to the salt.

82 GT 03-05-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nydon
I know it's a sin...please forgive. It's my g/f's house and she converted it into an office. I offered to change it back to a garage at my expense. If it makes you feel better...i don't drive it in the snow due to the salt.
I'm sorry, but my obligations dictate that I must now take full posession of that vehical.
Please PM me your address and let me know where you placed the keys and title and I promise I will make this as painless as possible for you.
Converting a garage into office or living quarters is also a crime but I'll let you slide on that one.........:D

Sknight579 03-06-2004 11:51 AM

I've done it, I've test driven Vipers, Vette's, Mustangs, RX-8's and alot of others for the hell of it, it's easy to make people think you can buy it you know

82 GT 03-06-2004 03:19 PM

I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it as soon as I get another Saturday off. I'll create a thread to let you know how it went.

69fastback 03-10-2004 06:44 PM

I made the mistake of stopping at a dealership and checking out a 04 mach 1. I drove it and have been drolling ever since it is a good thing there is noway I could have afforded it or i would be in a ton of trouble.

nydon 03-10-2004 07:21 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but my obligations dictate that I must now take full posession of that vehical.
Please PM me your address and let me know where you placed the keys and title and I promise I will make this as painless as possible for you.
Converting a garage into office or living quarters is also a crime but I'll let you slide on that one.........:D

..why you gotta go there? Bust my knee-caps and call it even!
i'll change the avatar in the spring....you'll see it's not really abused.

82 GT 03-10-2004 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nydon
..why you gotta go there? Bust my knee-caps and call it even!
i'll change the avatar in the spring....you'll see it's not really abused.

Lighten up dude. I'm just kidding around with ya.

xxxBlakexxx 03-10-2004 08:31 PM

Do test drives of women count?

82 GT 03-10-2004 10:50 PM

As far as women go........It's better to test drive than to buy because you lose half on the trde in.:D