MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-31-2000, 02:26 AM   #1
thebean311
Registered Member

Post Trouble with factory stereo

Alright guys,

I'm both a newbie and an idiot. I got a new in dash CD player for my new 2000GT w/mach 460. I got all the tools to pull the old system, etc. Well, I got the factory CD player out ok, but the casette will not come out for anything. I tried forever, and at the end of my trials, I realized that I totally screwed up the retaining clips on the cassette player, thus leaving it stuck in the dash. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the player out of the dash?

Thanks,
Ben
thebean311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2000, 11:44 AM   #2
mwjinx
Registered Member

If you can't get it out using the special ford radio tools you're gonna have to pull the entire dash bezel that the radio mounts in. You'll have to pull the shifter boot trim piece out, 4 screws that hold the radio trim piece and pull the pocket out to get to 2 screws behind the radio. When you pull the trim out the radio will still be attached, you'll just have to push some brackets in with a screwdriver and the radio will come out.
mwjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2000, 02:37 PM   #3
thebean311
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply, mwjinx. How do I go about removing the boot trim piece? I looked at it, and it seems I can just pry it off, but I'd like to know where to stick the screwdriver

Ben
Old 08-31-2000, 03:23 PM   #4
Rebel79
News Editor

The shifter boot cover just prys off with a screw driver. Its held in place by several clips.

Good luck!

------------------
www.SN95.com
1994 Mustang Cobra
308ci, ported heads, Crane 2031 cam, Vortech S-trim 11#, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, 2-chamber flows, and several other goodies.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2000, 11:54 PM   #5
thebean311
Registered Member

MwJinx,

I don't understand what you are talking about when you say 'pull out the pocket'. I got the shift boot trim piece off ok, but I don't see how that would help me remove that center dash bezel. I got two screws out (under the cassette receiver), but I do not see any other screws. Help please!

Ben
Old 09-01-2000, 03:15 PM   #6
mwjinx
Registered Member

Sorry about the confusion. If you look behind the radio you'll see a bracket, it's plastic. Follow it back to where it mounts. That's where the 2 screws are you're looking for. After you get those remaing screws the radio trim piece will come off. You should be able to see the bracket through the hole that was left by the cd player.
mwjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2000, 12:10 AM   #7
thebean311
Registered Member

MwJinx,

I thank you for all your assistance on this matter, and I have goooooood news!!! I got the cassette deck out. I'm so happy. In typical nerd fashion, I have chronicled my journey by means of digital camera. I will show them to you once I get the page up. I ended up pulling the center dash bezel, after you told me where the screws were.

Thanks again,

Ben
Old 11-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
RangerRick
Registered Member

Default Re: Trouble with factory stereo

Hi guys....

I read the above information and attempted to apply it to my 1996 GT with no luck. I have the two screws underneath the tape deck out, but I can't find anymore. I've read through the shop manuals, but they say to remove the stereo....can't they see I'm trying?

Any help, especially pictures, would be most appreciated.
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote