MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Audio, Security, & Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
The Jester
Registered Member

Default Wire route for aftermarket amp in '95

Hi there everyone.

I own a 95 mustang that I am planning on adding an aftermarket Amp and sub box to in the near future.

Ive purchased all of my wire, fuse holders ect and am just about ready to tear some interior panels out and run my high current + lead for the amp but have a couple quick questions i hope somone can answer for me.

1) Is there a lug in the power distribution panel under the hood capable of providing enough current to reliably power my amp?, I will probley tap directly off the battery otherwise, Any Ideas?.

2) Is there already a hole in my firewall for me to pass the wire through or am i goig to have to drill one?.. Im fairly paranoid about punching holes in my firewall so i would perfer to use an existing hole is possable. The wire i have purchased is 4 guage inteded for car audio applications

3) is there anything I need to take into consideration as far as routing the wire along the length of the car.. I was planning to use the wire channel in the door jamb.

Best reagrds and thanks in advance for your advice
Corey
The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Wire route for aftermarket amp in '95

I dont have an answer for the first one, most people just go directly to the battery.

I do know there are holes in the firewall with rubber grommets in them if you look hard enough, or if you do drill be sure and find a rubber grommet to run the wires through so they don't rub on the hole and eventually ground out and catch your car on fire.

The wire channel in the door jamb is a good place to run wires from front to back.

Hope this helps

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I just drilled a hole near the steering colum on my car. Run the wire along the kick pannel, then under the sill plates in the door jams, then up through the 1/4 trim and into the trunk.

I would just tap it directly to the battery

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
worked95
Registered Member

Jester,
I cut the battery cable about 8 in from the battery and installed a distribution panel. The panel takes the battery cable as input and provides multiple outputs for anything you want including the original battery cable you just cut. I added a fuseholder (with 30 amp fuse) to the run of cable for the amps. The fuseholder is installed inside the engine compartment. I then found an existing hole in the firewall where alot of other stock cables passed thru and passed thru the amp cable.

hope this helps.

worked95
worked95 is offline   Reply With Quote