MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default New dash!!

Hey all, I got a new dash for my 65 for christmas, it rocks. Wondering if anybody has put in a new dash, any pointers or whatnot. I might even do it this week, as this winter is extremely mild so far up here in northern minnesota, I could probably drive my mustang home from storage (or just do it there) Anyway, If i do i'll post some before and after pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (174.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-26-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: New dash!!

I assume we're talking just the dash pad. I did mine (repop) a few years ago and it was not too much of a problem. I think I did have to make a few minor mods (extra scews to hold everything in place). Not a problem unless you need concourse correct results. You would then want NOS parts anyway. It's all a little fuzzy in my memory (a few years), but any of the restoration books will give you play-by- play instructions on the "how to" of it.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

yeah, just the dash pad. I might rip out the whole thing (as in the metal part) and paint it, or I might wait until I actually paint the whole car(much more likely). Im not a big fan of concourse cars... I cant let new parts sit around too long before the urge to stick em in hit me, so I will probably do it tomorrow and post some pics then. (except my 5spd, as its sitting in the garage awaiting some more parts) Thanks rev
Old 12-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Yeah, the metal part of the dash is welded in. It can be refinished and repainted, but would be a pain in the ass. Mine wasn't too bad so I just did the pad and a new (repop) gauge bezel. All turned out looking OK with the new interior. All done a few years ago.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

Haha, yeah, i figured out it was welded in! So yeah, I didnt paint it. I did however go and install the new dashpad. The old one was pretty much melted to the metal underneath, which really sucked. There was nothing other than that holding it on, so I gotta go buy some screws for the new pad, and a couple for the instrument panel. I also just noticed I forgot to put my tach back on, bummer. Some new seat upholestry and a good vaccum job and my interior will be looking good, oh and some new gauges...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash 002.jpg (360.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg dash 005.jpg (298.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dash 006.jpg (298.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
bmxmon
Registered Member

Hey Rev, did you have troubles getting your screws in? My holes arent really up real well, all seem to be about 1/8th to 1/4" off. Not sure if I just dont have my dash pad on all the way or whats the deal, I'll keep messing around with it im sure its something like that, since all are pretty much off the same.