Thread: Waxing my car
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2001, 03:34 PM   #12
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

Try Me/All:

The discussion over how to clean a finish before waxing is interesting, but I stand by my original statement which some may have misunderstood. Let me clarify for you or whomever may be interested in the subject;

Of course you don't use strong detergent soap to wash your car, just some Dawn or other mild dishwasing liquid, and this is only done before cleaning & waxing, never, ever on a regular basis. You never leave it on for more than a minute before rinsing it off completely.

Following that, I dry the car and use a quality cleaner and then a high quality wax.
I won't even get into brands here, as everybody swears by something different and it gets confusing. You'll find a favorite.

I always dry, clean and wax and buff using clean terrycloth towels, then I spray a light mist of water on the finish and dry that with a soft flannel polishing cloth for a finishing touch. Works for me.

I have no knowledge about power buffers, except that I had my Mustang buffed out once by a pro (he even taped all the plastic/rubber trim parts) and it came out fantastic, but he warned me that my clearcoat was thinned and I might not want to do this again. Honest guy - and I heeded his advice.

Hope this info helps.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote