MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-19-2001, 01:48 PM   #1
Try Me
Registered Member

Talking Waxing my car

I'm supposed to wax my SN-95 Saturday with the Lizard King (with his buffer i mean )

Should i wash my car with dishsoap to remove the old wax, or should i apply it over the existing coat?

I'm also getting some rug-shampoo in a can, so i'll let you know how it works.

Moderator: Please don't move to Detailing Forum, it may not get read in time.
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 04:43 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Yes, remove the old wax with dishwashing liquid then use a cleaner to remove the imbedded dirt (it's there, trust me).
Good prep when waxing makes a much more rewarding job, just as in painting.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 10:05 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

I don't mean to contradict Mr. 5.0 but I read on another website that dish soap is hard on the paint because it removes the oils from the paint causing it to dull quicker. They recommend to use a quality car wash detergent instead.
This may or not be true....just relaying what I read elsewhere.
I think it was on Corral.net that I saw that article on washing/waxing

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 11:52 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool

Basically the whole deal is that you WANT to strip the oils and wax off the surface of the car.

That's so you can remove the old wax instead of getting an old wax layer buildup. It also allows for getting dirt off under the wax.

Under normal circumstances you wouldn't want to wash a waxxed car with dishsoap.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 08:22 AM   #5
Try Me
Registered Member

Talking

Many thanks fella's. The weather forecast calls for decent weather on Saturday, if lizard has a digital camera, i can post before and after pics.

Oh, and to play it safe, this being my first time and all, i won't use dishsoap, but mild auto soap instead.
Old 04-20-2001, 09:16 AM   #6
crumbie

I would recommend using dish detergent to remove any old wax on the car. I would also clay bar the car next to remove anything else the dish detergent didn't remove. You will really be able to tell the difference in the feel of the paint after you clay bar the car (very smooth). After this, then I would apply the wax. The clay bar kit can be bought for around $10 at any Pep Boys or Advanced Auto. Another note, the wax will be a lot easier to remove if you clay bar the car first.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:44 AM   #7
1BadMoFo5.0

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Never use dish degerent on your car. The chemicals contained in it will cause water spots and fade your paint if it is any left on it. You just need to wash the car the I would highly recommend not using a buffer unless you know what you are doing. I worked at a car detailing shop and we hardly ever used buffers, you can do a much better job if you use a cleaner wax that will remove oxidation and the old wax which is probably not on it unless you wax it ever week like I do. The go back over it with some polish for a long lasting protection. But please if you want to know how to ultimately clean a car ask me please.

------------------
90' 5.0 GT Convertible Mustang. 69' Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. Too much to list here so if you want to know ask me.
AOL name: Woodnutz351
Old 04-22-2001, 11:17 AM   #8
82 GT
Import Slayer

Would this be a bad time for:
I TOLD YOU SO!!!

(LOL)

------------------
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
Old 04-22-2001, 12:58 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Question

I didn't say dish detergent. Mild dish soap is built to clean and disperse oil.

Who said anything about leaving it on the car? Wash one section move on.

True, you can always do an extra step and use a cleaner wax, and then a real wax. Usually when I do my car it goes like this.

Eagle 1 Car wash
Meguires Cleaner Wax
Zymol Auto Polish
Eagle 1 Wet look wax

Not necessarily all in one day, if not, then it gets washed again.
Old 04-22-2001, 01:28 PM   #10
HemiBoo
Registered Member

I live down in the dirty buggy south. I use Dawn to wash my car when it gets really dirty but I usually use a mild carwhash soap. With all the bugs and stuff down here, the dishsoap is the onlything that takes them off without a butt load of SCRUBBING. That much scrubbing is probably worse on the paint then the dishsoap.
HemiBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 03:28 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

HemiBoo

Eagle 1 Wet Look Auto Wash
Zymol Auto Wash

Those two have worked much much better at removing stuff than Meguires, Blue Coral, STP (might as well use it as driveway cleaner, it's what I did), or anything else that I've tried.

Works at removing bugs and tar, Zymol worked better.
Old 04-22-2001, 03:34 PM   #12
Mr 5 0

Lightbulb

Try Me/All:

The discussion over how to clean a finish before waxing is interesting, but I stand by my original statement which some may have misunderstood. Let me clarify for you or whomever may be interested in the subject;

Of course you don't use strong detergent soap to wash your car, just some Dawn or other mild dishwasing liquid, and this is only done before cleaning & waxing, never, ever on a regular basis. You never leave it on for more than a minute before rinsing it off completely.

Following that, I dry the car and use a quality cleaner and then a high quality wax.
I won't even get into brands here, as everybody swears by something different and it gets confusing. You'll find a favorite.

I always dry, clean and wax and buff using clean terrycloth towels, then I spray a light mist of water on the finish and dry that with a soft flannel polishing cloth for a finishing touch. Works for me.

I have no knowledge about power buffers, except that I had my Mustang buffed out once by a pro (he even taped all the plastic/rubber trim parts) and it came out fantastic, but he warned me that my clearcoat was thinned and I might not want to do this again. Honest guy - and I heeded his advice.

Hope this info helps.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:47 AM   #13
1BadMoFo5.0

If you really want to do the job right then you need to get some Eagle 1 wet spray and a clay bar. Wash your car the rinse it off and dry it off. Then spray some spots with the wet and use the clay bar to rid the car of the old wax and any overspray from undercoating, tar, paint, and etc. The rinse it all back off and then to a two stage wax on it. I will have pics of some of my car and you cn see how some 89 stock paint can look new if you take car of it.

------------------
90' 5.0 GT Convertible Mustang. 69' Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. Too much to list here so if you want to know ask me.
AOL name: Woodnutz351
Old 04-23-2001, 03:17 PM   #14
82 GT
Import Slayer

The funny thing about this post is that Saturday has come and gone and this dudes car has been long washed and waxed by now and we are still trying to tell him how he should do it. (LOL)

------------------
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
Old 04-23-2001, 08:24 PM   #15
Mr 5 0

Smile

82GT:

The information posted here is intended for anyone who is interested in getting the best results from a wash, clean and wax job. Out of our thousands of members and guests that visit the messageboards, some folks have no clue and will appreciate the information provided. That's the point of posting info; one person asks but many use what's offered. It works out pretty well.
Old 04-24-2001, 11:22 AM   #16
Try Me
Registered Member

Talking

True, true.

I never got to wax it yet. I got in a battle with my g/f about what my plans were for that day. Bottom line, turns out waxing the car wasn't one of them