MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-05-2002, 03:43 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default remove hunk of metal near rear pumpkin?

I have a '90 Mustang GT. I know people have touched on this subject before, but I don't think I've read more than one reply that it is ok to remove this large hunk of metal for a little weight reduction? This piece is right at the front of the rearend pumpkin, near where the driveshaft bolts up to it. It's huge, you can't miss it. I've heard that it helps dampen some of the drivetrain vibration. If that is correct (seems feesible), then you wouldn't want to remove it, right?
Old 12-05-2002, 03:53 PM   #2
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

You're on the right track about it being a damper for rear-end vibes... I read that if you do a gear swap you can take it off.

Mine is long gone... I use an aluminum driveshaft which is supposed to dampen some of the vibes that come from the rear.

Take it off, and if you don't like it that way you can always reinstall it... I approached it that way and never did put it back on.

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 06:27 PM   #3
Simi Stang

Default hunk of metal

Thanks for the info. ultraflo-

I do have 3.73s in the rear, so I'll remove it and see how it goes. An aluminum driveshaft is on my lists of "wants", so hopefully I'll have that in there over the next few months to help out with any dampening.