MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-29-2002, 02:54 PM   #1
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Default Will this work????

I pulled this off of a website called allfordmustangs.com. Whereas my intake manifold is in desperate need of a good once over, and I don't have the time to take it off, I was wondering if this would work:
__________________________________________________ __
7. The Throttle body and Intake can get pretty dirty after a while, the oil and gunk deposits in them can reduce your pony's performance. Also after lots of traffic driving your heads and valves might get covered with Carbon deposits that can cause PRE-IGNITION, which is as bad as detonation.

To clean it all there are a few things you can do, either remove the intake and heads to clean them OR the EASY WAY. use Carb Cleaner or BRAKE FLUID to clean them. If you use Carb cleaner just make sure it is O2 sensor-safe. Brake fluid is.

This procedure is for 5.0 engines only, 4.6 should not try this.

Now disconnect the hose that runs from the passenger side valve cover on the OIL FILL TUBE to the Throttle body hose. Disconnect at the valve cover side.

Start your engine and either SPRAY the carb cleaner into the hose or Immerse the hose in the brake fluid bottle. Do this 1 second at a time and rev the engine a bit if it starts to stall, repeat the procedure until you are half way on the cleaner or brake fluid.

You will see lots of smoke from the exhaust..this is normal and a sign that the cleaner is working.Take the car for a ride and repeat the procedure the next day.
__________________________________________________ _

The part that concerns me the most is the reccommended use of brake fluid. Will this damage your engine? Also, can you use Marvel Mystery Oil and will it work better that carb cleaner? I know that if I can clean my intake manifold, I can get more flow, but I do not want to damage my engine. Any advice on this procedure or any other procedures you may know of will be a great help.
Thanks,
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 04:56 PM   #2
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

That method may work, but I don't think you will ever catch me doing it on my Stang .

Sounds a little wierd. If you really want to clean up your stuff, just take a few hours out of your weekend and pull the intake off.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 05:21 PM   #3
QUIN
Registered Member

yeah it works, (dont know about the brake fluid) but i recommend doing it like we always have.
Spray with the carb cleaner through throttle body and soak as much back out as you can with a rag. it comes in handy with the edelbrock intake to just remove the cover and wipe out the inside of the intake. anyway, do this with the car off. after you clean the areas you can reach, turn the car on,, it will bog for a moment as it spits that stuff thru. then you can continue to do as the post says to help clean out the rest. only problem with this method is that it sends the filth thru the engine and out the exhuast. i usually only do it for throttle body cleaning. watch the IAB valve or whatever its called. its got a diaphragm or something like that which the carb cleaner can damage. thats strong stuff man. eat your paint.
the intake is actually rather easy to get off, especially if you just pull the upper. that would probably be your best bet. i wouldnt bother cleaning the heads till your ready to upgrade them.
later,
Q
Quin, 87 GT,306,forged/cut pistons,edelbrock head\intake,steeda#18cam,1.7rr,MSD Blaster tfi coil,A9L,pro-m75mm,24#inj,accufab65mm,2.5"pipes,hooker headers,dynomax exhaust,3.73 gr,110 lph fp,moroso cold air,ASP pullies, weld rims

See my engine on user rides.

I see your shwartz is as big as mine, now lets see how well you handle it!
QUIN is offline   Reply With Quote