MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-20-2000, 01:14 AM   #1
Capri306

Post Calling all painters! I'm gonna paint the 'Stang...

...but I'm gonna need some help here!

Basically, my LX is banana yellow right now. It was done before I bought it, apparently by Maaco because of how badly the front clip is chipping. Anyhoo, the (unpainted) door jambs and paint code match up, and show it as "1D", or Smoke (metallic). It's a bad-*** color if you ask me. Thing is, they didn't strip it off before they painted over it, they just kind of sand papered it a little and just covered everything with the cheap acrylic enamel. The yellow comes off fairly easy, but the smoke color underneath is ruined. I've assessed that it's going to need repainting.

I have quotes for the cost of the basecoat/clearcoat, reducer, etc. That's going to run a total of around $300. I need to know which kind of spray gun to go with. I found one at Meijer's for $70 that seems okay, but the Craftsman catalog has one that says it can handle metallics okay, which is what I'm using. I AM on a budget, but I'm willing to spend more if it will give me better results. I already have the air compressor, and some experience with other people's guns. I just want to know what's best for this project. Thanks for any help, guys!

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX 5.0L
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2000, 08:43 PM   #2
kelso50
Registered Member

My experience is you get what you pay for. I'm sure a $70 gun is good enough to paint a whole car, probably OK for touch-ups but not for an entire repaint. Try to get a HVLP gun, I have found tham a bit easier to use at home, less overspray. If you are painting at home you should expect to a lot of crud in the paint as it dries. Good luck.
kelso50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2000, 09:30 AM   #3
Rebel79
News Editor

Make sure you have a good air sander! You are going to need to buff out all of the dirt that settles in your paint. The least you can do is tarp off your garage and then blow it out.

There is nothing I hate more than little imperfections in my paint!!!

------------------
www.SN95.com
1994 Mustang Cobra
308ci, ported heads, Crane 2031 cam, Vortech S-trim 11#, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, 2-chamber flows, and several other goodies.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 02:31 AM   #4
89LXNB
Registered Member

1) The paint booth has special ventilation and filtration properties? It makes sense. I never thought of it before but I could see the dusty air in the garage flawing paint.

Can the conditions of the booth be replicated in a garage?
89LXNB is offline   Reply With Quote