MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-13-2002, 08:05 PM   #1
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Question Car cleaning tips.

OK.. I need some car cleaning tips, because very time I turn around I have to wash it. I need to wax it down and what about that protectant shine stuff they sale. You know.. you can put it on your car between washes/wax.
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:28 PM   #2
Mustangmom2k
Registered Member

Smile

Well I could write a book on the subject, but I'll try to give you the super-condensed version of Mom's Car Cleaning Tips:

1. Wash, wash, wash. There is no substitute for washing.

2. Get yourself a clay bar and go over the whole car. It will make it feel (and look) like glass, assuming your paint is in good shape.

3. I don't use wax. I use Zaino show car polish. It offers the best shine and protection available, especially on dark cars!

This is from someone who shows her car. Topless in Texas shows her car, too, (far more than I do), and we both enjoy spending the time detailing our cars. If you aren't into that sort of thing, then at least go to your auto store and get Mother's or Meguiars 3-step products, which include a glaze spray that helps maintain the shine between washes. It'll make a difference!

I have far more to say on the matter, but that's a start.
Best ET-13.587 @100.63 Best RT .500 (really!)
------ 234 RWHP 279 RWTQ
GirlsCanToo Oct. Mare of the Month

Son #1 - '87 GT 331 stroker and 03 Cobra Son #2 - '89 LX 5.0 stock notchback and 89 LX hatchback w/lots of goodies
Mustangmom2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:32 PM   #3
Mustangmom2k
Registered Member

Smile

Oops, meant to include a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mxm warp 1.jpg (126.4 KB, 55 views)
------ 234 RWHP 279 RWTQ

Son #1 - '87 GT 331 stroker and 03 Cobra Son #2 - '89 LX 5.0 stock notchback and 89 LX hatchback w/lots of goodies
Old 03-13-2002, 09:06 PM   #4
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Thanks MustangMom!!

Nice car, I could see myself in the shine!!!

Yeah, my car is dark green, and the paint is in nice/great condition. What typesof rags and drying tips? So it wont be spotted. Is all that (rags and things) included in the kit?

I love spending time detailing my car, but I feel odd doing it sometimes because it feels like I'm performing an 'act' because I live on a high traffic street. I need to go to an out of the way place and spend some time cleaning it up from the wheels (dirty!!), tires and the inside.

Do you use any of that 'tire shine' stuff??
Also what do you use on the interior dash/console?
I have some ArmorAll stuff. Is that OK?

OHH! One more question... what do you use to clean you glass. Do you use the stuff in the can 'Invisible Glass'? Things like that? Because regular cleaners sreak too much.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:00 PM   #5
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Cool Tips from Topless :)

Hey #1Pony...
Ya, Zaino rocks...that what we all use...
As far as the Tire Shine, I have used many and my favorite is the Enduance GEL, not the Cream in the bottle(Mcquires). The gel also comes in the same time of bottle, but its more clear and not as globby and VERY EASY to get on. That is my favorite BY FAR!
I myself, like a high shine everywhere. Alot do not. I Like the Detailers Advantage by Armorall for the interior hard parts. It leaves a nice gloss and goes on easy. The glass cleaner in a can is good. I use both.
When Mom was about to do her first show I posted a Rather "Lengthy" post on Detailing Your car b4 a show...I've reposted it a couple of times...Its really detailed, and I dont know exactly HOW DETAILED you wanna get. But, If you ever want to REALLY give it a good cleaning, its got alot of good information to read on. I will look back again in the archives and see if I can find it.
Working on my car is my therapy....I could use alot of that right now!!!!!!! I miss it! But, we will be back to normal soon!
I'll find the post for you! Take Care and Happy Detailing!
Topless
OK I FOUND THE POST...I DONT KNOW HOW TO TRANSFER IT HERE...If you go to Female Power, click on the threads for the LAST YEAR, and go to page 15. Its in the middle of the page. The thread posted by MustangMom2K titled "Showing Cars...how to?" This basically I put together from a judges point of view, but i hope it helps some!!!! TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!

Last edited by Topless In Texas; 03-13-2002 at 10:22 PM..
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:48 PM   #6
cad614

here ya go TNT

http://forums.mustangworks.com/showt...threadid=15428

'95 GT Convertible
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:55 PM   #7
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Wink U STILL LOOK AFTER ME DONT YA?? :)

MIKE!!! HAHAHAH!!!!!
U must admit, i've gotten better, huh???? THANKS SO MUCH!!!! YOUR such a sweetie!!!!!!!! Guess I still need a hand every now and then!!!!!! THanks again! Christine

Old 03-13-2002, 11:05 PM   #8
The Sandman
Registered Member

I'm not trying to brag but I know *much* about car cleaning (just ask Mercury!!), just ask me what you need to know and I'll tell you plenty. Send me an instant message or email me :
WCF Outsiders(@aol.com)

« Red Firebird »
[ A4 ][ W68 ]

[ Interior Painted Red/Black ][ Wings West Spoiler (Black) ][ Firebat Decals ]
[ (^ How-to For ^) ][ Zaino'ed x 17 ]
[ Mobil 1 ][ Flowmaster 80 ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LS1.com Moderator
FirebirdV6.com Moderator
North Bay Mustang Moderator
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:11 AM   #9
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Ok, what's up with Zanio? No place around here sells it. How good is it? I normaly use "Eagle 1 Wet polish/wax". Is there anywhere I can get Zanio online or something?

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:19 AM   #10
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking Your Zaino Distributor

Here's your man! He's a runnin buddy of mine, and who I got Mom hooked up with:
D and J Show Car Polish
Donald Brunswick
6523 Fairbourne
Pasadena,Texas 77505
Cell: 713-826-2501
Home: 281-487-6027
donaldb@speakeasy.org

Unfortunately he only owns Vettes!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2002, 02:27 AM   #11
The Sandman
Registered Member

Well, you can go to the main Zaino website and click the email link at the bottom to email Sal, the guy who is in charge of the company. Ask him who your nearest distributor is.

You will need the following ' Zainos '

Z1 or ZFX - This is the product that helps to bond the polish to your cars surface. Each product you'd use once every 5-6 coats of polish, or once every 6 months. The difference however IS that Z1 is a product that you apply, and then apply the polishes (Z2/Z5) DIRECTLY on top of it. ZFX is a polish additive that you mix to the Z2/Z5 to lower the cure time (amount of time it takes for the Zaino coat to bond). YOU ONLY NEED ONE OR THE OTHER!!! NOT BOTH!!

Z2 - The high gloss polish. You apply this to get the highest gloss finish to your car. You should always apply this last.

Z5 - The swirl remover. This is a 100% non-abrasive product which eliminates swirls coat by coat. Being that it is non-abrasive, it may take several coats if your car is in worse off condition than a newer car.

Z6 - The high gloss spray. Helps the Zaino to further bond, and brings about the BRIGHTEST glossy shine. Use in between coats.

Z7 - The car wash. It DOES make a difference. That's enough said.

Z18 - Claybar. This is the single most important step in the entire car cleaning process. It gives the polishes the best paint surface to 'work with'. Even if you don't use Zaino, I recommend using a claybar. The purpose of a claybar is to take out visible (as well as microscopic) particles/contaminents that are embedded in your paint from numerous things. Chemicals in the air, brake dust, rail dust, etc. The way you use a claybar is to take a spray bottle and mix it about 75 water/25 Z7 and spray it lightly onto the paint, spray it in small areas at a time. Lightly rub the claybar over the area until you feel it is cleaned. VERY important note too, the claybar takes out things from your paint, so it will get dirty. It needs to be folded or it will begin to scratch your car via rubbing. The best 'tip' I can give you is to use only one side, fold it in half.... = two clean sides! Use one side till it's dirty.....fold in half..... = two clean sides! Etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Now...... if you decide to purchase these Zaino prodcuts, let me know and I'll tell you the proper order and give you other hints.

Hope I helped you Ford boys out
Not all us GM'ers are dumb mullets

« Red Firebird »
[ A4 ][ W68 ]

[ Interior Painted Red/Black ][ Wings West Spoiler (Black) ][ Firebat Decals ]
[ (^ How-to For ^) ][ Zaino'ed x 17 ]
[ Mobil 1 ][ Flowmaster 80 ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LS1.com Moderator
FirebirdV6.com Moderator
North Bay Mustang Moderator
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 02:31 AM   #12
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

UH....OK...nevermind

Old 03-14-2002, 03:00 AM   #13
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

sandman we dont dog gm guy's unless they act like foo's here,i am an ex-gm guy myself,hey i would rather drive a firebird ,or camaro before i riced out,l8ter

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:29 PM   #14
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Thanks for the cleaning tips!! TNT!! (hey how many awards have you won for showing?)

Thanks Sandman.

I'll I have to look aounnd the shops for such products or just call'em.
I never thought of useing the gel as a tire shine. Does it mess with your traction when you put it on? Or it dries quick?
Old 03-14-2002, 09:01 PM   #15
Mustangmom2k
Registered Member

Smile

Yeah, I use Meguiar's Endurance tire gel, too. It comes in a black bottle, but the gel is purple and smells like grapes. I love the stuff because it lasts a long time and doesn't sling any oily residue up onto the car. It also won't turn your tires brown after a few days like some products I've tried. It shines really well, and they also make a high gloss version, which I've never tried. I think mine came with a little spongy applicator thingy with a "handle" which I love because the stuff feels creepy (kind of slimy) if you get it on your hands. It has never affected my traction, I guess because it only goes onto the sidewalls. And another tip...I use this stuff on all my black plactic trim and it works like a charm! The cowl trim, the mirror housings, and the rubber along the base of the windows, although you don't want to get it on the paint. It makes all the trim very glossy and lasts a long time (weeks).

Whatever wax/polish you use, you should only use 100% cotton rags/towels to apply/buff with. I personally use Gerber diapers because you can buy a 6 pack for about $8, then I cut them in half and wind up with 12 rags.

For my dash, I actually don't use anything on it, especially not anything glossy because I don't like the nasty glare I get from the windshield. I just keep it dusted (I have a little duster in the door pocket that I use just about every time I get in the car...how anal is that?). I suppose I should eventually start putting something on the dash if only to protect it from drying out, but I haven't really looked for anything yet.

For the glass, I find that every household window/glass cleaner streaks, so I usually use a newspaper wetted with plain old vinegar (smelly!), then I dry the glass with a dry wadded-up newspaper. This is a century-old way to clean glass, but it works really well. You won't get any streaks, plus the vinegar will dissolve and eliminate water spots if you have them. (This will work on the paint, too, if you want to get rid of water spots that aren't etched into the paint yet. But don't use a newspaper on the paint unless you want to scratch it all up!) I also have the Zaino glass cleaner, which I use occasionally, but I discovered that you have to use it VERY sparingly or you'll never get it all off. It's sort of greasy/smeary if you use too much. By too much I mean a blob the size of a nickel on a rag is too much! A blob about the size of a pea will do all the glass on my car...inside and out!

Sheesh! Didn't mean to be so long-winded!
------ 234 RWHP 279 RWTQ

Old 03-15-2002, 12:52 AM   #16
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Red face Traction? what Traction? hehe

Ya, When I show I use the Endurance on the whole tire, not just the sidewall. It does not look clean and complete unless you do the whole thing. (also Wheel wells) If your not gonna show, i woudn't worry about doing the whole thing!!!!!
The traction does suck thou. It dries but I have still gotten sideways a couple of times leaving a show. Its pretty easy to do. But it does not take long for it to disappear off your tread. I use it on my hard parts as well on my exterior sometime.
LIke MOM said, w/ Zaino you need to use 100% cotton towels...Zaino recommends that you use the ones MADE IN AMERICA!!! evidently the cotton is different and for the best results thats what they recommend!!!!!
Think I"ve got about 78 now, but i'm not for sure...Like i said b4...its THERAPY for me...I really enjoy it! HAVE FUN!!! Topless

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: