MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-18-2000, 08:48 AM   #1
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Question Clay Magic

Anybody else use this stuff?

I recently tried it out on both my '90 LX and '95 Mazda 626 and was satisified with the results, although it was weird to use a lump of clay to clean/shine my car.

I have to admit that the results - while good - were not any better than I usually get with Meguiars cleaner, just a bit easier and faster, which is an important factor.
I followed up with Zymol polish/wax and got the same level of shine I usually do, which is excellent considering my LX has seen ten winters, uncovered and driven almost daily.

I'm undecided as to whether I'll keep using it or go back to the liquid cleaner.
I'm interested in hearing other's experiences with the clay bar method for myself and anyone else who is considering it.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2000, 02:40 PM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

No, I don't use the clay bar. I am not to keen on rubbing "clay" onto my Stang's paint. The clay stuff just sounds to harsh, if you will. I haven't really given it a chance though - maybe on my ZX2 first.

I have been using Liquid Glass Wash Concentrate, Pre-Cleaner, and their Liquid Glass "wax" (Not a wax, rather some type of polymer). I really like the results. No yellowing (big factor since I have an Oxford White Stang) and the hard clear coat that it leaves behind is very nice. You can even "wax" the pastic parts like headlights, tail lights, etc. My headlights look factory new after almost 10 years!! Very impressed with this.

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe
36,600 miles - Mint Condition

13.367 @ 104.90 mph w/ 2.130 60'

Pro-Charger D1-B on the way!!!
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 08:18 PM   #3
kelso50
Registered Member

I really like that stuff. It works really well on finishes that have been neglected. I don't always have time to wash a wax my cars as often as I would like too (3 small children, house, yard work...). If find this stuff works really well at cleaning the crap of the surface of the car to give you a really nice base for a good coat of wax. Remeber what the paint felt like when your car was new or just painted, how smooth it felt? The clay bar will restore it to that level. Sorry to ramble, on but I found this stuff to work really well without any bad side effects.
kelso50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 11:06 AM   #4
MODCOBRA
Registered Member

I use the Clay Magic all the time. I haven't found anything else that gets off the cast iron dust from my Cobra. McGurires's Body Scrub doesn't even do it. I don't think this product is designed for "every day" use. Just when u have some serious air borne contaminants on your paint. I always follow-up the section I'm working on with McGuire's polish and then wax.
MODCOBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2000, 08:01 AM   #5
R WEIR
Registered Member

I like the clay to remove junk on the paint, but regular use could be a bit harse. I use it in my detail shop to remove paint over spray, tree sap ect.. But you have to think of it as an abraisive kind like sanding the surface of your paint. Use it only when needed and on the spots needed. If you really want to put a deep shine on use 3M Perfect It III rubbing compound and then the Perfect It II Foam pad polish and to finnish up use the Perfect It III finishing glaze.

------------------
79 CAPRI
69 351w bored .030 69 heads 202/160 valves stage 3 port job
milled to a 54 cc chamber Stealth intake modified 750 holley
1.6 roller rockers C6 3500 rpm stall 3.73 gears converted to 5
lug moser 31 spline axles 8 pt cage and a shot n2o to top it off
R WEIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2000, 05:31 PM   #6
scott93gt
Registered Member

I'm glad I checked this forum today. I have been considering the "clay" and was unsure of the results. I think I will get it to use to get the junk out of the paint on my car. Thanks for the info.

------------------
Scott93GT
1993 Silver/Titanium GT Black Clothe interior.
5 speed, 3.08's, 3 chamber Flowmaster cat-backs, BBK cold air fenderwell kit w/K&N filter.

Click HERE to see my 1993 GT.
scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote