MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2002, 01:25 AM   #1
carbuff
Registered Member

Wink cleaning a white convertible top

Hi,
I wondered if anyone has any suggestions on how to safely remove those nasty black marks from a white convertible top.

Thanks,
A.M.
carbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:17 AM   #2
Stangsic
Registered Member

I have white convertible top also and I'm going through the same problem. I don't think you can get those black marks off the car. But convertible top cleaner works pretty effectively on the general smudges and dirt. If you figure out how to get the black marks off, please let me know.
Stangsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 12:10 PM   #3
91GTturbo
Registered Member

I use Clorox Clean-up and a tooth brush on mine. Spray a small amount on the spots and use the brush to scrub it out. If you want to clean the whole top, dilute some in water and scrub the entire top with a large brush. You want to use just enough to keep it on the top only, because if it gets on your paint it will strip the wax off.

If you do the entire top, I use a pressure washer to remove it from the top and the wash down the entire car.

I wax my car alot anyway, so I never have any issues with it on the paint.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #4
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

You can also try Super Claean in the purple bottle. But be sure NOT to get any on your paint and DO NOT let the Superclean stay on very long, actually pretty much just spray it on let it set for a few seconds and wipe off.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
snowman23
Registered Member

Default Re: cleaning a white convertible top

Hi all-

I realize this is 2 years later, but I am new here and was just doing some searches that related to my car, etc.

I cleaned by VERY soiled white top on my 90 GT with everything and still couldn't get the black marks off. I used Boraxo brand hand cleanser (its less harsh than regular cleanser) and water with a soft brush to clean the top overall and that made it very white.

I still had some black spots from where the top goes up and down. I found Goof Off (in the paint section of Walmart and/or Home Depot). I put a little on a toothbrush, applied, then immediately wiped off with a wet towel. Once all the spots were gone I washed the entire top and applied protectant. As spots reappear I now just put a little Goof Off on a rag, wipe the spot off and then wipe and/or rinse. So far this has done a very good job of allowing me to keep the top clean and looking very good.

I hope this helps
snowman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
goodpony
Registered Member

Default Re: cleaning a white convertible top

ragg topp cleaner works well along with a bit of comet cleanser or softscrub
goodpony is offline   Reply With Quote