MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2000, 04:58 PM   #1
cad614

Post Convertable top cleaner?

What do you use to clean your convertable top? I found 76 convertable owners on this site, surely we can help each other find the best product.

------------------
'95 GT Convertable
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 02:05 PM   #2
GATOR
Registered Member

I spent 2 years detailing cars for a living in las vegas "people are extra anal about they're cars there it seems" and what I learned I apply to my own convertable.IF you have the basic black top just use good ol soap and water to remove all soil and follow up with a high quality protectant of youre choice "just not armour all,Its crap" The tops are porus and will absorb alot the first application but the way It looks is worth the cost and elbow grease plus it protects youre top from fading.IF you have the white top use the same method but add some bleach to the soapy water mix and it will shine. you can do the same on the inside just lay some towles down so you dont get the seats wet and keep it ventalated untell its dry so mold doesnt start.

89 5.0 LX convert, 81.000 mi,long tube headers,flomaster exhaust.edelbrock intake,more to come!!!!!!!

GATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2000, 03:46 PM   #3
cad614

Thanks Gator.
Which "high quality protectant" would you reccomend?
Old 05-22-2000, 04:48 PM   #4
GATOR
Registered Member

Im lucky enough with my new job to have access to pro quality chemicals for detailing and highly reccomend "zep" brand tire dressing or "bumper gel" from the same company.Both products work great on everything from your top to youre tires,but if you cant find these products STP son of a gun works well also.Just be sure to have plenty on hand especially If it hasnt been treated in a while because It will really soak it up.

89 5.0 LX convert,81.000 mi,longtube headers,
flowmaster exhaust.edelbrock intake,more to come!!!!!

[This message has been edited by GATOR (edited 05-22-2000).]
Old 05-22-2000, 04:51 PM   #5
GATOR
Registered Member

Im lucky enough with my new job to have access to pro quality chemicals for detailing and highly reccomend "zep" brand tire dressing or "bumper gel" from the same company.Both products work great on everything from your top to youre tires,but if you cant find these products STP son of a gun works well also.Just be sure to have plenty on hand especially If it hasnt been treated in a while because It will really soak it up.

89 5.0 LX convert,81.000 mi,longtube headers,
flowmaster exhaust.edelbrock intake,more to come!!!!!
Old 05-28-2000, 03:31 PM   #6
cad614

I just wanted to thank you Gator. I couldn't find "zep" but I used the STP and the results were fantastic. It looks much beter than when I bought it over a year ago.
Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon so everyone can see how great it looks.
Thanks again.