MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-16-2000, 12:21 AM   #1
win895.0
Registered Member

Post ENG COMPARTMENT

WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO DO TO CLEAN MY ENGINE COMPARTMENT. WHAT DO I NEED TO COVER UP. SHOULD I DO IT WITH THE ENGINE HOT OR COLD? I HAVE A 89 LX 5.0. THANKS
win895.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2000, 09:21 AM   #2
Rebel79
News Editor

Cover up your distributer and any wiring (coil). You can use several products, but I recommend Super Clean or Simple Green. I like Super Clean better. Spray it on, and let it sit for a while and then rinse off. I use HOT water, as it helps to remove the tough grime. Becareful not to crack your block though.

Do not use Gunk, as it is a Harsh abrasive.

------------------
www.SN95.com
1994 Mustang Cobra
308ci, ported heads, Crane 2031 cam, Vortech S-trim 11#, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, 2-chamber flows, and several other goodies.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2000, 02:05 AM   #3
Mustanguy

Cool

I use a 50/50 mix of water & simple green I cover the distributor and alternator with a plastic bag.I then use a garden hose and with the motor warm or cold I spray(using low pressure) the engine compartment down.I then spray the 50/50 mix of water & simple green onto the engine.I let it set for 10-15 min.I then using low water pressure,rinse the engine compartment down.

I have done this with excellent results and comes in handy when you show your car like I do myself

------------------
Paxton Supercharged 87GT
Mustang..it's not just a car,it's an attitude
Old 06-17-2000, 09:08 AM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

win895.0:

Some good advice here.

I agree with the use of Simple Green as a cleaner, and avoiding a hard spray on the engine. Covering the alternator and distributor is a 'must', and avoid hitting any of the electrical parts as much as possible, such as the TFI module.

Once you've sprayed, detail is the key to a really good looking engine.
It's tedious, but you need to have the plug wires clean and shiny, all the black plastic parts cleaned with some Armor-All or Back-To-Black for a real nice look, and don't forget to use some paint cleaner for the painted metal parts as well as getting the chrome fuel lines gleaming. It all adds up, and even on a stock engine (like mine) you'll still gets a lot of admiring comments, all for a few dollars in cleaners and some time.

Once cleaned, recleaning is easy, as long as you keep up with it and don't drive in too many rainstorms or nasty weather.
Even if you do, once the engine is really clean, bringing it back isn't that difficult.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2000, 12:04 PM   #5
mr.saleen
Registered Member

Cool

I work at A detauil shop so i know what inm talking about , spray it with redhot or sinmple green(red hot is better) then hit it with the power washer hit ebvery thing but don't dribve it for about 5 hrs
mr.saleen is offline   Reply With Quote