MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2001, 03:57 PM   #1
tomazzo
Registered Member

Cool Fading paint on plastic

I have a 93 Reef Blue GT, and the paint on the front bumpercover at the corners and the paint on the louvered tail lights are fading. I can put armour all, or Mothers back to black on it, and they look much better until it rains. Is there a more permanent way to clean this up besides repaint. The car is not that old, and the paint still shines up real nice.
tomazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 05:01 PM   #2
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Question

Has anything ever happened to the paint? Like has the car lived on a beach or been repainted before?
RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 09:59 AM   #3
tomazzo
Registered Member

I bought it new in Orlando Fla, then moved to Louisiana 3 years later,and it was under a car port when at home. Just over time, it has gradually turned milky or cloudy like the clear coat is clouding up. But if I put armorall or that back to black on the louvers and front cap corners, it looks almost new. The car should not have been repainted since I bought it new.

[This message has been edited by tomazzo (edited 01-11-2001).]
tomazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 09:14 PM   #4
pro88
Registered Member

This is something you'd better find a good detail shop for. If you don't want to repaint it. What I do to those is wet sant the areas with 1500 and final sand the area with 2000 grit. After sanding you have to buff it real good to remove the wet sand marks. After all the wet sand marks are removed take a 2 step polish process with 1st a yellow waffle pad and finish with a blue polish pad(these are foam buff pads). Finally wax the areas preferrable with a paint sealant. A good detail shop can fix this problem just like I described(I own a detail shop here in Ore. and been in the business for 23 years). Shop around and ask alot of questions. Find a shop with very experienced detailers and look around there shop. A good shop will be very organized and sanitary. Good Luck. If you have any more questions please free to E-Mail me.
pro88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: