MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-23-2004, 10:12 PM   #1
webslinger
Registered Member

Default aaaahhh.....how the heck do i get the rear bumper/ cover off?

I may be just blind, but on my 1990 GT, I can't seem to figure out how to get the rear bumper / cover off. It seems the very right and left side ends are still bolted on, with the little flat brackets, and the only way I can see to get to the nuts to get the brackets off would be to cut through the inner sheet metal....

now keep in mind I still havent taken the brake lights off either, so I am wondering if the braket is boltes to somthing that is released from underneath the brake lights...

Can some 87-93 GT rear bumper expert shed some light on this subject for me?

thank you
webslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:48 PM   #2
JayGT
Registered Member

Default Re: aaaahhh.....how the heck do i get the rear bumper/ cover off?

Man I just put a Cobra bumper on mine.. an I dont recall exactly, but I will try to shed what light I can on the subject. There's the bolts which are connected to the bracket that holds the bottom of the bumper to the bumper extention. The bolts on the bumper which go thru the back panel of the car under the tails an license plate. Those 'U' brackets underneath the car which connect to the bottom of the bumper which I had to throw in the trashcan. And there's 2 or 3 nuts to take off on both sides which are a real pain to get to, however you may not have to take them off being that you are going to leave the bumper extentions on? They run through the extention/body/bumper I believe.. I dont recall there being anything under the actual tails tho that you had to take out. If all else fails locate a sawzall lol.