MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-13-2001, 01:12 AM   #1
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Default Paint Color

I am thinking of putting a cheap paint job on my car for now till I can buy new fenders and and body panels. I figured the car was going to be primered for about 4-6 years before i'm ready to put on the real paint job. Since primer doesn't last that long, I was trying to think of a good color besides Red. I was thinking something along the line of Black, green, or blue. Somthing cheep and will last for about 2-4 years, 6 if I'm lucky. When I do the real paint job, I want the car sandblasted down to metal, start from scratch.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 02:19 AM   #2
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

I'd stay away from black. If you're just doing a quick cheap job and your body doesn't look that good, the dark paint is just going to magnify the body imperfections. I'd try to find a lighter color. It will look better than black.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 04:15 AM   #3
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Default Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks, I never thought of that. This deffently change my desion now.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
Old 12-14-2001, 12:39 AM   #4
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

6T9PONY is exactly right on this one, dark colors and the gloss of the fresh paint job (even a cheap one) will cause any door dings or other un-repaired (or poorly repaired) bodywork to stick out like a sore thumb.

If I were you, I'd throw a couple more coats of primer on it and block sand the the doors fenders and quarters. If you're gonna take the thing down to metal in a few years anyways, don't hesitiate to use a little bit of plastic filler on the low spots that won't block out. For the price of the primer, and an afternoon in the garage, you can have that thing looking a whole lot better. I mean, you're still going to have to look at it for the next 4-6 years right? Might as well make the most of what you got.

Also, you mentioned that you want to sandblast the car when you do the final paint job. Actual sandbalsting will warp the body panels and cause waves in the final product. You're gonna need to soda blast it or use walnut shells or some other less "harsh" material.

good luck
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 01:49 AM   #5
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

I'd still put some paint on it rather than putting more coats of primer. No sense in worryabout primer wearing off in areas because of the weather and other elements. Then causing rust. I'd go ahead and get a cheapo plain old white paint job on it.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 09:38 PM   #6
red
Registered Member

Another possible option. My local auto/paint shop set me up with a yellow primer that is good enough to withstand the elements for a few years. I stripped the paint off (chemical stripper goo, TalStrip), sandblasted the rusted spots, and primed it. Kept it outside under a cover for two years before I painted it.

-red
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 05:56 AM   #7
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

I heard water goes right through primer, plus I'd rather look at a cheep paint job then primer. I'm also going to put on some cheep stripes too, will help protect the paint.

Quote:
Also, you mentioned that you want to sandblast the car when you do the final paint job. Actual sandbalsting will warp the body panels and cause waves in the final product. You're gonna need to soda blast it or use walnut shells or some other less "harsh" material.
They have a new thing which usess ground up plastic, much better then sand, but it's still called sandblasting.

Quote:
Another possible option. My local auto/paint shop set me up with a yellow primer that is good enough to withstand the elements for a few years. I stripped the paint off (chemical stripper goo, TalStrip), sandblasted the rusted spots, and primed it. Kept it outside under a cover for two years before I painted it.

Ok, so it may stand up to weather, but yellow, sorry, by no thanks, I'd rather have gray then yellow.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am