MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-14-2000, 09:57 AM   #1
imouer

Question new vrt top

I new a new black top on the vert ($900 ) on my old GTO vert I used Armorall (sp?) and it looks greasy, ran all over the paint when it rained, and wore out fast despite the Armorall. How you you protect your investment??

------------------
94 Convertable 5.0, K&N, Flow Masters/CAT backs, Power Slot brakes, Under Drives, B&M Shift+, Xeon lights
Old 08-16-2000, 12:59 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

I would consult the shop that installed your new top. They should have some suggestions.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2000, 05:02 PM   #3
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I would stay away from using Armor All on your top. It tends to dry out the material and doesn't allow it to breathe. Aside from using water and car wash solution, you could try the top cleaner from a company called Lifter 1. It's in a red spray can and is very gentle on vinyl and leather. My top is saddle colored so I used to get dark stains where the top would fold over on itself when it was down. Gently cleaning it with the above methods got rid of all the stains. Unless a product is designed for convertible tops I wouldn't use it.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico non-adjustable struts/ shocks (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2000, 03:23 AM   #4
cad614

When I first got my car I talked with a upholstery guy who fixes these tops. He told me the best thing for it was Ivory dishwashing soap. I tried it for a while, and while it kept the top clean, it didn't keep it black (started to fade).
Now I use a high pressure washer on it to get the all the dirt out, and use STP Sun of a Gun Protectant to get it good and black. I've been doing this for about 4 months now with no problems... even won 1st place at the local Mustang show. Hope I could help.

------------------
'95 GT Convertable
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2000, 05:27 AM   #5
imouer

thanks, Ive also noticed that mt top is getting wrinkles in it from leaving it down all the time and a night. I thought I would save the wear on the hydrolics but is doesnt look good for the top
Old 08-26-2000, 03:09 AM   #6
cad614

I don't know what to tell you about the wrinkles... I keep my top up most of the time since I have to park on the street. My hydrolics went out last year (blew a gasket) but for the entire lifter and some fluid it only cost $70, labor included.

------------------
'95 GT Convertable
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2000, 07:18 AM   #7
91Saleen
Registered Member

My top wrinkles up bad, too. But, after I leave it up for about a day they usually go away.
91Saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2000, 11:59 AM   #8
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I think the trick with the wrinkles is keeping the top as supple as possible. The vinyl tends to get a little stiff after a while and makes those folding wrinkles really stand out. Just keep it really clean and conditioned. Everytime I put the top up (especially after it's been down for a while) I go around all the edges and pull it tight and kind of run my hands all along it.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico non-adjustable struts/ shocks (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: