View Single Post
Old 05-19-2002, 02:26 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Cool Car Flicks

Sam:

Sorry this is too late for this weekend but here's a listing of my favorite 'car' films for future consideration.

In no particular order:

Bullitt 1968

Steve McQueen and a '67 Mustang fastback with a 390 and a four-speed.

Slow build-up to the best chase scene of all time, in most everyone's opinion, including mine.

McQueen was the guy I wanted to grow up to be when I was a kid. Very cool, no BS guy with a great car, a tough job (but a supportive boss) and a fantastic, understanding girlfriend.

Must see.

Available on DVD & VHS.

Two Lane Blacktop. (1971)

12-second '55 Chevy with a 454 and dual-quad tunnel-ram set-up races a '70 GTO and other assorted hot cars. Bad acting by Beach Boy Dennis Wilson, singer James Taylor and Laurie Bird .

Ms. Bird and Mr. Wilson are dead. Taylor is alive but bald. Draw your own conclusions.

Vanishing Point. (1971)

Barry Newman goes cross country in a big block white, '70 Challenger. Gritty and sometimes confusing.

Think of it as a existential chase movie.

Hard to find on rental video.

American Graffiti (1973).

Ron Howard (with hair), Richard Dreyfuss, Cindy Williams and a lot of cool '50's cars including a very sharp '58 Impala (Ron Howard's ride) and a much modified '32 Ford driven by 'John Milner' (Paul LeMat), the local drag racing hero. A very young Harrison Ford appears near the end as Milner's main challenger in a nice '55 Chevy. Great drag race.

Four-star film (by George Lucas) that recalls teen life in medium-sized towns pre-1963. Too much plot to list. Must see. DVD & VHS.

Gone in 60 Seconds. 2000.

Nick Cage and a modified '67 Mustang Shelby GT 350 star but lots of other beautiful, fast cars appear. Oh yeah, Angelina Jolie is in it, too.

Great movie, very exciting. Easy to find on DVD and VHS.

Others to consider:

Ronin (Robert DeNiro)

The French Connection (Gene Hackman)

The Road Warrior (Mel Gibson).

Smokey and the Bandit (Burt Reynolds, Jackie Gleason)

All contain extensive car-chase scenes and are worthy of your time.

Enjoy!
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote