MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2002, 02:30 AM   #1
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Paint cost?

I need to buy some paint to shoot my cobra grill insert, mirrors, and a few other small parts. How much does factory color paint cost? I probably won't need much, but I would like it to have the clear coat mixed in. Do they make it that way? I was thinking a quart or so would be enough.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:48 PM   #2
Den&Shay
Registered Member

Default paint

I have painted some parts for my car and I would highly recommend using a 2 step process.(base coat/clear coat). Unless you are planning to have the whole car repainted at once anyway. One step paint does not have the shine that clear coat has, and I know it doesnt hold up as well over time. Alot of cars with that chalky look to the paint are painted with one step paint. For enough Sikkens paint to do my whole car, it cost me around $400.00 with clear coat and a few other chemicals. Good Luck.
Den&Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:34 PM   #3
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Thanks

O.K. thanks for the help. I will do the two step thing and see how it turns out. I am trying to practice so that I can eventually paint my fiberglass hood.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:54 PM   #4
polara7777
Registered Member

Paintings not too tough just needs patience and a proper sanding. If you need any help at all drop me a line. Used to do it for a living. I can give some tips on best cheap paint and which sand paper to use. Good luck w/ it. If you don't get it right the first time keep trying! It takes a few times.
-67 Dodge Polara (383 punched 30, Heavy head work, Mopar Performance single plane intake, Holley 750, electric fuel pump, Holley regulator, .484 duration cam, FRIED bottom end!) DOH!!! Fried the #1 rod bearing. Stroker kit coming!
-01 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Clear lenses, shaved fender, rear signals in the rear housing, baffles removed, Deals Gap dragon on the tail.)
polara7777 is offline   Reply With Quote