MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2002, 10:31 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question Gathering info on roll cage installation.

I just spent some time at Jeff Chamber's website in the roll cage install section, and that helped. Still got some general questions for those of you who have gotten a roll cage (8 point-- which I think is the one required for NHRA events?) installed. A friend of mine who is an experienced welder wants to get some questions answered. If it works out, he'll install the cage for me:

1) What type of metal is the cage? Well, Jeff kinda answered this one on the site. On his site, Jeff talks about S&W Race Cars' "mild steel version..." being "... heavier than its chromoly sibling..." cage (I had already been planning to buy one from S&W--whose cage is currently on sale now for $109, down from $150.

2) Total, how much the does cage weigh?

3) For a coup like mine, what will happen to the rear seat and how will the front seats be affected by the cage installation. Eg, will I still have the full range of adjustment for leg room?

4) Where are the areas that the 5-point harness, that I will get at the same time, attach to?

5) Any other things I should know. ANything that knowing now could save trouble in the long run?

6) Swing out bars are NHRA legal on both passenger and driver side, correct?

7) Does the roll cage assembly come with instructions?

Jeff, if you read this, thanks a lot for your article. It helps me out. I am envious of your car man.

I really appreciate anyone who answers my questions. I will call S&W soon and ask them pretty much the same thing I aske you all. I am just trying to gather info from both sides of the coin (the dealer and customer).
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote