MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-19-2002, 10:09 AM   #1
wildneg
Registered Member

Default Sagging Doors

This is going to be the first question to many i'm sure. I'm about to buy a mustang. Here are the specs:

91' Mustangs LX Red Hatchback

I need to do lots of body work to it. The guy I talked to wants 3500$ at the least to sand it down, fix the sagging doors, fix any rust, bondo any rust spots if there are any (just very few on the underside which will be welded not bondo'd), and then repaint it all. I think thats a lot of money. So I was going to do most of this myself. I don't mind fixing the sagging doors, interior, and smaller things I can handle. But for the main sanding and painting, probably a shop. But if I get most of this done myself, hopefully I can save some money. Either way, the first problem I will be tackling would be the doors. They don't quite match up to the top of car. As in their is a little gap between the top of the car and the window. I'm guessing that is just weather stripping that needs to be replaced which I can probably do. The when you open the door, they are sagging some. I would like to fix this. What needs to be replaced and fixed? Anyone know of a how to with pictures on the internet somewhere? Thanks.

- Kevin P
- http://www.techsi.net/kevinp/
wildneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 10:29 AM   #2
mxz
Registered Member

I would recommend replacing and rusted body panels with new or used rust free. Replacement parts are not that expensive. The rust will always eventually come back. A few years ago I replaced the doors, trunk lid, front clip and one fender on a 86 Conv. for under $700Canadian. I replaced them all myself so I saved on the labor. Now I have an 89 hatch that I will be doing the same to.
mxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
Pro-AMT
Registered Member

I just replaced the hinge pin - bushings with kits I got from one of the Mustang internet sites. My doors were sagging badly and the kits were about six bucks a hinge (requires 4ea). This is easy and made the door level and tight as new.

As for the body parts I agree replace whatever you can with non-corroded parts. One, it will prevent corrosion from resurfacing. Secondly, bolting on a new hood, fender, hatch, or etc... is easier to get a handle on than the sheetmetal work if you don't have any experience.

Good luck and enjoy.
Pro-AMT is offline   Reply With Quote