MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-15-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
Instg8r
Instg8r

Exclamation Scratches

Well with spring time around the corner it's time to pay some more attention to the outside of my stang (can't afford a winter beater right now). Every winter I always acquire new scratches, does anyone know the best way to get them out or the best products to use?

I also have a bullit gas cap with the bolts starting to rust because of the salt. Does anyone know the best way to get rid and prevent the rust from coming back? I wipe the salt off just about every night but it still manages to work it's way back. Any feedback would be great
Instg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:16 AM   #2
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Default Re: Scratches

Find the 3M Rubbing compound and wax. Use the rubbing compound then use a wax and/or a polisher (prefferably by 3m) and a glaze (meguires makes a professional glaze)
My bf is a detailer and he loves 3m products and so do I.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
Punchit
Registered Member

There are a lot of great polishes out there that should remove just about any scratch you have as long as it's not through the paint. If the scratch is somewhat deep but not through the paint then your going to need a heavier grade cutting polish. Poorboy's offers a range of polishes that should help you out. As for the gas cap it's hard to stop rust after it has started, I would replace the screws if you can and apply a good wax/sealant all around the area, maybe even multiple coats. Let me know how that works out for you.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

3M swirl mark remover should be abbrasive enough to remove the surface swirls and scratches you have aquired over the winter. For the best looking finish, apply products in order from most abbrasive to least. So:

Swirl Mark Remover
Paint cleaner (lots to choose from)
Polish/glaze
Wax (P21S/S100 is lovely!)

If you're detailing/washing your car properly, you shouldn't aquire any new scratches...whether it's winter or not. An automatic car wash may be the culprit...

Oh and you may want to clay the car before removing the scratches. For a daily driver, you should clay twice a year (every 6 mo.)

Happy detailing!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
Instg8r
Instg8r

Thanks everyone, I think I'll go with a 3M product for the scratches and i'm going to let the rusty bolts soak in some WD40. When my dad restored his '74 Road Runner he did that and used all the original bolts.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
Jimljr145
Registered Member

This is my recomendation:

http://www.mothers.com/products/

or-

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/index.cfm

Both companies have great products that will make your stang shine better than the day it was first painted. I've used both, but mostly Mothers. I never used their scratch removal product, but I would still recommend their products. I used them mostly on a lifted "black" ford ranger with big tires, and their stuff made that thing shine like no other... It will take a lot of elbow grease, but the results are worth it. And by the way, avoid the automatic car washes. If you want to avoid scratches, start here. If you do all the steps as directed, it will be difficult to pull open the door without your hand slipping of, let alone scratching it.
"My other car is a Crown Vic"
Jimljr145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:18 AM   #7
Instg8r
Instg8r

Thanks a lot for the links! The last couple of years I have been trying 3M products but they don't seem to do that much good. They help with the little marks but not the noticable ones. As for the car washes, I have never gone through an automatic carwash before. Just a couple times with the touchless ones however I am still wary of them. I try every few weeks in the winter at the local coin wash just to get some of that death salt off, but even with that my black stang more often than not looks grey. Thank God that the warm weather is finally here and I can do the drive washes, even if it is only 1 degree.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8r
Thanks a lot for the links! The last couple of years I have been trying 3M products but they don't seem to do that much good. They help with the little marks but not the noticable ones.
If the product(s) you're using aren't working, you need a more abbrasive product regardless of manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8r
I have never gone through an automatic carwash before. Just a couple times with the touchless ones however I am still wary of them. I try every few weeks in the winter at the local coin wash just to get some of that death salt off, but even with that my black stang more often than not looks grey.
If you're getting new scratches every spring, you're doing something wrong. Once you remove all of the scratches/swirls, you should not see any new marks unless your washing and detailing process is flawed. Go to www.autopia.org and read until you're eyes bleed. The right products won't do any good if the process is flawed.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:26 PM   #9
Instg8r
Instg8r

Thanks for the tips Stang_Crazy, I'll be sure to check out that site. I also noticed this week that there are a couple minor dents that look like they are from the bottom of an SUV door. Anyone got any tips on how to get rid of those?

Tom
2000 Mustang GT