View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
I do. It came with the car when I bought it. Not sure why its on there but it does not block any of the tag from view. Looks ok to me.
I guarantee it blocks it from certain angles of view, not to mention defeating the stamping of the letters/numbers in the metal. They do that for a specific reason.
----------------------------
Well, here's the skinny. I have been seeing more and more of'em and wonder what the allure is . I've read the packaging on them in the stores and it clearly says "May be illegal in your state". You guys obviously know it's probably not a good idea so do people not care, not read the package or not realize it's a problem?

Not sure if you guys know but I'm a deputy sheriff and have realized for years it's not a good idea (not to mention illegal) to put these things over license plates. I'm just trying to see what the "general public" (you guys) feel about them and if it's common knowledge for those in the non law-enforcement community to know it's illegal.

I'm beginning to see more and more of these things and wondered the following;
- Why?
- Does the average person know it's illegal?
- Should they be warned or ticketed?

From my perspective there's many people who need to be able to read license plates. Those include; gas station workers, other motorists, regular merchants, toll booth cameras, pedestrians and generally anyone who interacts with cars.

So far I believe 75% or so of those who have them know it's illegal but for whatever reason opt to keep'em.

Thanks again for the input. I don't want to be a d|ck on the streets but sometimes we're forced to be.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated.

* Oh, and on a side note I used to ask people to remove them instead of getting a ticket but had a complaint lodged on me for doing just that so that's not an option anymore. And people wonder why some cops are jaded.....

Thanks again,