View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #9
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I'd vote for spraying the plastic pieces. People are selling OEM black interior pieces on Ebay as if they were made out of gold (which they weren't) and unless you want to spend $1000+ for an OEN black interior, spraying/dying would be your best bet. I'm in the process of converting my red interior to black and I used a spray made by SEM to dye the plastics. It's called Landau Black and it matches the factory Ebony Black pretty closely.

As mentioned already, prep the pieces really really well. When you think they are clean, clean them one more time. Apply the dye in a couple light coats (I did 4-5 coats for mine) about 15 minutes apart. After you finish a piece, move it to another room to avoid contaminating it with overspray. Let the pieces dry overnight and then re-install them.

For the carpet and headliner, I would replace them instead of trying to dye them. New carpet (from ACC) is $100 and new headliner fabric is only a couple bucks.

For the most part, the interior is easy to take apart. The dash requires a little more time but it's nothing too difficult. Remember to locate some black seatbelts to go with your black interior!!!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote