MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-16-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
Slappy
Registered Member

Default Factory Decal Removal

Hey folks
I got a Black 04 GT and want to re-do the stripes.It currently has the Stock arizona beige stripes.

Im sure you have seen the stock racing stripes, On the topside of the trunk, nothing on the top of the car, and from the base of the hood down to the front where they taper at the end.

I like the racing stripes, but i really want them to go from the chin of my front bumper, over the hood, over the top of the car, and down the trunk and bumper.

I have found 8, 10, and 12in wide racing stripes on ebay for 40 bucks that come with the roller and all that. Problem is they dont have arizona beige, which is what the stock stripes are.

Obviously i will have to remove the current decals on the front of the hood of the car regardless due to the fact they taper at the end, and if i cannot find a color to match the stock arizona beige stripes, i will have to remove the stripes from the rest of the hood the trunk, and the stripes on the side of the car too.

Does anyone know if these factory stripes are put on before or after the clearcoat?

And what would be the best way to remove the current stripes so i can do my own "chin to butt"?? I am not adverse to having them professionally done, but if i can do it myself without jacking up the paint job then all the better.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Factory Decal Removal

Most stripes are put on after the clear coat unless they are painted on. I have heard you can apply heat with a heat gun or hair dryer and they will peal off pretty easily. Any residue from the adhesive can be removed with wax and grease remover or 3M Adhesive remover.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:08 AM   #3
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange97GTVert
Most stripes are put on after the clear coat unless they are painted on. I have heard you can apply heat with a heat gun or hair dryer and they will peal off pretty easily. Any residue from the adhesive can be removed with wax and grease remover or 3M Adhesive remover.

Thats what my bf does. A hair dryer.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Punchit
Registered Member

I agree too! Good luck!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
scole999
Registered Member

Use a hair dryer and then take off the residue with Goo Gone or Goof Off. If the stripes are fairly new they will come of easier. If they are old it may take a while but they will come off and the paint underneath should be fine. A razor blade in a holder will help but make sure to keep the area you are working on lubricated with a little Goo Gone or Goof Off so you do not scratch the paint. Be careful not to dig into the surface.

Steve
www.rallystripes.com
scole999 is offline   Reply With Quote