MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
Blinky Bill
Registered Member

Default 66 to emberglo or not?

I finally got my 66 coupe that I have wanted since I was six. It comes from San Francisco is was originally emberglo. It is very sound with no rust and has P/S. It is now painted a very chalky burgundy. In a few months I plan to totally strip and restore. My early thoughts were to make as close to concourse as possible but now I am thinking about different colors so one of my questions is how closely do the judges consider paint changes. My trouble is there is not a lot of 64-66 mustangs around to look at in Brisbane to make up my mind as to what color. Should I just paint it the the color I want and be happy cruizing?

I really like twin exhausts eg the GTs and the fog lamps too. Is this frowned upon as not good mods if the car was not a original GT? My budget could never spring to a real GT.

I am going to put an original aircon in it and and put in front discs. She has a black on black interior but I will move to a deluxe / parchment.

Regards
Clinton
Brisbane Australia
1939 Plymouth
1942 Willys Jeep
1943 Willys Jeep
1954 Ford Anglia
1955 Standard 10
1960 Mini 850
1966 Mustang
Blinky Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:49 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: 66 to emberglo or not?

You can pretty much do whatever you want. A good place to check out cars is cardomain.com, where you can specify brand/make/year. check out some mustang magazines, theres alot going on out there with modding vintage stangs. (restomods)
Old 01-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

If you want it "Concours" leave it original color. If not, paint it anything you like. Same with the interior. I changed a 68 from Parchment interior to black, cause the Parchment looks like "dirty white". Only the purist picked it apart, and I really didn't care what they had to say anyway. After all it is "MY CAR".

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

I'm with Gearhead999 all the way on this. Make the car to suit how you want it, and then drive the hell out of it. If you really do want a concourse trailer queen for the car shows then make it "numbers matching" and use only original parts. That is a very expensive undertaking, and not very rewarding IMHO.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
Elvis
Registered Member

Ditto the previous posts. Make it the way you want it and you can't go wrong. Frankly, I always thought that Emberglo was a great colour. I saw a couple of cars in that colour at a show in Fort Worth last year and they were awesome! I think that it used to be important to keep the cars as close as possible to the original numbers but, at least from watching the Barrett-Jackson auction, it appears that it is no longer so important. My '67 was originally Wimbledon White but I was not wild about that shade. It is still white but not the original white. The important thing is that I like it the way it is. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
brennaman
Registered Member

I have a 66 emberglo, and I love it. In H.S. I had a crappy mustang and one day a guy drove up in a 66 conv., emberglo, w/ partchment int., and I fell in love with it. So 25 years later I bought it. I have found that people that don't know mustangs don't really care for the color, they think they should all be poppy red. But at shows, esspecially the "older generation" love to see an emberglo becouse you just don't see them very often.
brennaman is offline   Reply With Quote