MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-07-2000, 01:57 PM   #1
beefcake
Registered Member

Post Update on my 99 Cobra - Engine/Tranny/Solid Axel

Well, thought you guys might like an update.

ENGINE
After talking with insiders at Ford, it appears a 98 computer will work with the 99 wiring harness.

So, instead of spending 6K on a felpro or 8k on a motec, I am going to spend 150 to 200 bucks on a 98 computer. We are going to run a Bosch external pump. We are installing #8 fuel lines with #6 return lines. We will be using 50lb/hr injectors and a pro m calibrated for 50lb/hr injectors.

Paul says he should have no problem tuning the car with the 98 autologic software. I have received my 8 rib setup which SHM fabricated for my 99 Cobra (The only one that exists right now, they laugh every time i talk to them). I have a pulley that should deliver 14lbs of boost. I forget the #, but it's that one, lol. The tubing for my aftercooler should be in today, and SHM will be fabricating that and shipping it by the end of the week. And, I am still waiting on the proM from UPR. Also, the Ford Anderson Power Pipe will be going back on, that should be good for about another 1 3/4pounds of boost.

REAR END
We have all the parts for the rear end. We are using a housing from i believe a 96 mustang. We have 31 spline axels. We are going to use the Auburn. We are also going to FMS 4.10 gears. Paul seems to think with the power we will be putting out, that 4.30's may be just a little bit too much.

If anyone knows anyone interested in my IRS with 3.73's, KB springs and differential bushings and bassani cat back, let me know.

EXHAUST
We are going to use the Magnaflow exhaust for a 99/00 GT. It is not quite as pretty as the Bassani, but from all the dyno's I have heard about it flows better. Houston Performance recommended it also. Plus, it was about $200 bucks cheaper!

TRANSMISSION
We are using a Tremec TKO transmission with a blow proof bellhousing. For a clutch, McCleod is building me a 21" clutch. It is a twin plate 10 1/2" clutch. It should be good for 1200 hp. McCleod had used this on a few small block Chevy's with great success. He has made only one for the 4.6, and he hasn't got much feedback from the customer yet. He is knocking the price down about 60% on the condition that we give a regular update on the performance of the clutch. Paul ordered a shifter for me, he said it was the company the makes the TriAx for Steeda, but right now I am having a brain fart.

Anyway, that's where we are at as of right now. Goal is somewhere around 600rwhp.

I think that is realistic. We picked up 169rwhp with 8lbs + stock head porting + shorties and that was with SHM superchip and stock mass air.

Doubling the boost I am hoping for at least 120 more rwhp, and i figure the solid axel swap should give a minimum of 20rwhp. Who knows though. Can't wait to see.
beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2000, 05:08 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Yes, well, that is one bad-*** car you've got there.

Keep up updated on how this all the latest modifications work out.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote