MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-09-2004, 04:11 AM   #1
Solarassult
Registered Member

Default Replacing an interior

I have a 93 LX with a opal grey interior. Im looking for information on where i can get all the interior peices i need to turn the grey <damaged> interior into a black one that i can accent with the bullit aluminum? I ned the peices like speaker covers, door panels, armrests, carpests, a back seat<replacing the front seat with racing ones> . Basicly i wanna turn the insides all black any help is greatly appresiated. thanks
Solarassult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I have no answer for soft parts like seats. Carpet can be replaced by ordering from ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) for just over $100. All Vinyl pieces can be recolored using a vinyl paint.

Take the vinyl parts off the car and wipe down thoroughly with wax and grease remover. Spray a primer coat and then spray several thin coats of vinyl paint. Thick coats look bad, several thin coats will look like factory. Mar-Hyd is a good brand and black is a standard color that comes mixed in spray cans. Custom colors can be mixed at Automotive Paint stores, but black is easy.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:04 AM   #3
Solarassult
Registered Member

thanks, any idea how much the paint will cost and im replacing the seats ne way
Old 04-13-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I haven't bought any in a long time so I looked it up at www.texasmustang.com and they sell it for 8.95 to 9.95 a can, so you can expect to do the entire interior for less than $100 for the vinyl dye, not a bad deal because as you recolor the interior it also covers scuffs and makes it all look new again. It is good for soft vinyl like dash pads and steering wheel centers as well as hard plastic like kick panels.

Just take your time, clean well and spray light coats and you will be amazed at how good it comes out. Spray from one end to the other, past the edge of the piece so you don't have wet spots from the spray start and keep the can the same distance away from the piece you are spraying. Let it dry 24 hours before handling or reassembling.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Old 04-14-2004, 01:12 AM   #5
Solarassult
Registered Member

Thanks dude, do you know how difficult it is to dissassemble and reassemble the kick panels and dash and other such peiceas
Old 04-14-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Sorry, my experience is with 65-66 Mustangs and other older cars. The dash pad should be the hardest, door panels are pretty easy.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:05 AM   #7
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

If i were you id look on ebay or other boards for black interiors to buy. Otherwise you can be like me and take out all the interior pieces repaint them, dye the carpet and headliner, re-uhpolster (sp?) the interior, buy black gt buckets TALK ABOUT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!!
But my interior doesnt look half bad, just VERY time consuming!

Goodluck either way
Haley
Old 04-19-2004, 06:38 AM   #8
Solarassult
Registered Member

iu think im gonna do that, paint it all. So long as its ok looking afterwards
Old 04-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #9
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I'd vote for spraying the plastic pieces. People are selling OEM black interior pieces on Ebay as if they were made out of gold (which they weren't) and unless you want to spend $1000+ for an OEN black interior, spraying/dying would be your best bet. I'm in the process of converting my red interior to black and I used a spray made by SEM to dye the plastics. It's called Landau Black and it matches the factory Ebony Black pretty closely.

As mentioned already, prep the pieces really really well. When you think they are clean, clean them one more time. Apply the dye in a couple light coats (I did 4-5 coats for mine) about 15 minutes apart. After you finish a piece, move it to another room to avoid contaminating it with overspray. Let the pieces dry overnight and then re-install them.

For the carpet and headliner, I would replace them instead of trying to dye them. New carpet (from ACC) is $100 and new headliner fabric is only a couple bucks.

For the most part, the interior is easy to take apart. The dash requires a little more time but it's nothing too difficult. Remember to locate some black seatbelts to go with your black interior!!!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote