MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
LXtra
Registered Member

Default car wash and fiberglass hoods

I was wondering if its a good idea to take a car with a fiberglass hood through a touch less car wash? Is this a good idea or will it make the paint flake off? I'm unable to wash my car at home as I live in a townhouse. Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2004, 10:24 PM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Unless you have a bad paint job, I can see no reason why this would be a problem.

Anyone else?

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
LXtra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Unless you have a bad paint job, I can see no reason why this would be a problem.

Anyone else?
Maaco Well you answered my question, thanks I'll have to think of something else
Old 02-18-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Why don't you try one of those coin-op hand spray ones and avoid using the nozzle too close?

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:05 AM   #5
LXtra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Why don't you try one of those coin-op hand spray ones and avoid using the nozzle too close?
i've done that too, but the brush scratches the wax, I usually take a sponge with me. It just sucks cause it runs on a timer.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #6
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Hey man go to the timmer place and take a couple of buckets. Spray the car down and fill the buckets up with soapy water move over to the side and wash the car with a sponge. That would be kind of like washing at home. When you are done put in some more coins and and rinse it off.

Most of the real detailing starts after the car is washed and dried anyway.

I like the coin place in the winter because they have hot water. Lot of times I will go there to wash the car and then come back home and finish. Although on the gulf coast here we only have 6 weeks of winter. It was 70F here today and sunny.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:33 AM   #7
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
Hey man go to the timmer place and take a couple of buckets. Spray the car down and fill the buckets up with soapy water move over to the side and wash the car with a sponge. That would be kind of like washing at home. When you are done put in some more coins and and rinse it off.
I agree 1,000%. If you absolutely can't wash your car at home (which it sounds like you can't) then take it to a coin-op place but take all of your supplies with you. Buckets, car shampoo, wash mitt, towels, etc. Use the water to fill the buckets and to rinse the car off.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote