MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-25-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
Jason1320
Registered Member

Default Stock Wheel Locks

Yesterday on my drive home from work I had a blowout on my right rear tire. Although this was no fun at 70 Mph I was able to slow down and pull over safely. This is where the fun began. Normally I take my car to ford to have the tires rotated, but the last time I went to Sears. (I now how jack stands and do it myself). Anyway, I went to put on my spare and found that the teeth of my wheel lock key had been shattered and the key itself was bent. (I don't know what kind of force they used at Sears, but it must have been a lot!) Because of this I had to have the car towed to a tire repair shop where they charged me $40 to remove the locks. (With relative ease I might add, those things are useless)

Just a word to all of you mustang owners with stock wheel locks, you might as well take them off now before they strand you like they did me. They aren't doing you any good anyway.

For those that don't know. To remove the wheel locks without a key. You simply hammer a special socket with hardened metal teeth over the lock and twist it off just like a lug nut. The kid at the tire store might have been 16. These things are no more useful than the Club!
Old 02-27-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

My key from my stock wheels is pretty much shot from normal use. There are some after-market locks that are better, but you are really screwed if you loose your key. You could have paid a few hundred $ to have them removed.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote