MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
aar0s
Registered Member

Default how often to wax?

how often do you guys wax your cars and what kind do you use?
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
mustardjohn
Registered Member

I wax about once a month with just wax. Usually I also use polish but sometimes not. I have been using Meguiar's 3 Step steps 1 and 2 or the Professional Hi Tech Yellow #26 but when I run out (soon) I am going to try the Harley Davidson.

I could not see much added effect from the Meguiar's Step 1 so I quit using it. Maybe if you had a lot of built up stuff... but the clay seems to take most of that off.

My '03 Mustang took a lot less work than the '96 T-Bird. But now they are both about the same. I bought the T-Bird used and it took a while to get it "cleaned" up.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I wax about every 3 weeks.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I have been using the Maguires three step plus S100. Sometimes just the S100 (actually it has some other name now and I am too lazy to go to the garage to read the label which would be quicker than typing this).

On Friday I tried the Maguires NXT for the first time. I must admit, I was impressed. I have a few cases of it comming this week, so I wanted to try it. We are selling raffle tickets for an 2005 Stang GT on Sunday at a Mustang Show in Kimberton, PA and we are giving bottles away to the first few ticket holders. I wanted to try it out.

It rained later, of course. And I washed it today. Looks like I just waxed it. I am curious as to the staying power. Tough choice, as I am entering my stang in the show. Right now I am leaning towards hitting it one more time with the NXT due simply to time. I have a rough work week this week.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Sometimes just the S100 (actually it has some other name now and I am too lazy to go to the garage to read the label which would be quicker than typing this).
P21S

I forgot to put in my previous post that I also use S100/P21S as my topper.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
aar0s
Registered Member

thanks for the info guys! Ive heard good things about nxt but i have never tried it.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

I use Zymol Wax and polish. It says not to use it more that 4 times a year but I am hard headed. It is AWESOME! My car had been recently side swiped and this wax took all the haze and minor scratches off. Which now you cant even tell it was hit execpt for a minor dent. It is hands down the best wax I have ever used.

2000 V6 Stang
so far only exaust and BBK CAI
Stang_Girl617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:07 AM   #8
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

It seems like the consensus here are other places is that if you use Mothers, Maguires, Zymol, or P21S you will smile!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 05-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
aar0s
Registered Member

is p 21s the HD wax or a number used by a mfg?
Old 05-30-2004, 08:42 AM   #10
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

P21S is the name of the wax. It is also labeled as S100. It's the same wax just different names. The only local places I know of that carry P21S/S100 are Harley Davidson stores. If you don't have a Harley store near you, you can order a jar from www.properautocare.com

Here's what P21S/S100 looks like: http://www.properautocare.com/p21spastewax.html

EDIT: I just noticed the price listed on Proper Auto Care....$31.95 They used to sell it for $14.95!! I guess word got out about how good it is...maybe the Harley stores still sell it fo $14.95?

Old 05-30-2004, 01:08 PM   #11
mustardjohn
Registered Member

At $31.95 I will be staying with Meguiar's. I will check HD but $31.95 is too much. Online with shipping and handling it will be $35 at least.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:50 PM   #12
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

$32 isn't THAT bad! The jar is a pretty decent size and there is no reason why ONE jar wouldn't last AT LEAST two years. The results of S100 speak for themselves so I won't try and convince anyone to try it if they don't want to spend the $$$.

It could be worse...we could be talking about Pinnacle Souveran

Old 05-30-2004, 09:58 PM   #13
Stang_Girl617
Registered Member

Talking Whatever!

I paid 20 bucks for my wax. That wasnt so bad, IMO! but I use it maybe once every 2 months and I have had it for 2 years and it isnt even half empty yet. Ive been slacking on the car washing lately... the heat is just so awful lately. 98 Here today.. isnt that crazy. So that bottle may last me longer than expected...lol.

overall, I think any wax will do a great job... just depends on how long you want that BREATH TAKING shine to last.

2000 V6 Stang
so far only exaust and BBK CAI
Stang_Girl617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:03 AM   #14
mustardjohn
Registered Member

quote: It could be worse...we could be talking about Pinnacle Souveran

You are right. PS normally sells online for $69.95 but is on sale right now for $59.95.

Meguair's new NXT is selling for $14.95 at Auto Zone. Has no wax in it. At least that is what it says on the box. Some kind of new polymer formulation they have developed.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:12 AM   #15
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Default Re: Whatever!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_Girl617
I paid 20 bucks for my wax. That wasnt so bad, IMO! but I use it maybe once every 2 months and I have had it for 2 years and it isnt even half empty yet. Ive been slacking on the car washing lately... the heat is just so awful lately. 98 Here today.. isnt that crazy. So that bottle may last me longer than expected...lol.

overall, I think any wax will do a great job... just depends on how long you want that BREATH TAKING shine to last.

I must use too much wax. Mine never lasts that long. How can you tell if you are using too much. I like to be able to see clearly where I have waxed. Maybe I need new glasses.

And yes it is hot and also very humid here in Texas. At least we have had a pretty stiff breeze blowing for the last week. If that stops, it really will be hot.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:53 PM   #16
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
Some kind of new polymer formulation they have developed.
Isn't NXT a polymer sealant......sort of along the lines of Zaino? That's what I assumed from what I've read.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:57 PM   #17
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default Re: Re: Whatever!

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
I must use too much wax. Mine never lasts that long. How can you tell if you are using too much.
It doesn't take alot of wax....only a thin film will stay on the paint. The rest will be removed when you buff it. Using alot of wax won't hurt anything and it won't help anything...it would be wasteful though.

When I apply my S100, I can barely tell where I've applied it. Only under a certain angle can I see where I've applied it. And now that it's $30+ a jar, I think my applications will be even thinner this year

Old 05-31-2004, 08:57 PM   #18
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_Crazy
Isn't NXT a polymer sealant......sort of along the lines of Zaino? That's what I assumed from what I've read.
Probably is a Zaino knock off. It says it forms a polymer bond to the paint and is a new "next generation" polymer.

I think I will quit using those sponge applicators. Seems like there is a enough wax left in the applicator when I finish to do another car!

At least gas came down here this weekend to a $1.83 for regular rrom $1.89. Just got back from Houston and it cost me $20 there and back.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:34 PM   #19
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

You're lucky. Around here, gas is $2.03 for 87 octane.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:00 PM   #20
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

How 'bout that Eagle One nanowax or something like that. I have always liked Eagle One products, but crap, I have soo many different waxes as it is.

Wait, did I read that gas droppe din price? I pay 2.02 - 2.12 for 87 and 2.15 to 2.25 for 93 here.

My Stang: