MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2003, 07:02 PM   #1
ac97gt
Registered Member

Default steeda triax w/aluminum shift knob

shifts smooth, looks great, but the quality is iffy. as far as the shifter itself goes it seems to be fine. i was happy with the quality and i love the way it shifts, but that steeda aluminum shift knob is pissing me off.... it gets SO hot after the tranny heats up that i literally cannot hold it. around town for short drives its ok, and in town for longer drives it just gets warm, and its not bad when you are on the highway and air is cooling the tranny, but get off the highway and get it in town and forget it, you cant hold it. especially if i get home from work (30mi. highway) then let it sit in the driveway for a half hour and go back out, i cant hold the thing for the rest of the night. i guess aluminum straight from the tranny to knob is stupid. i would have thought steeda would have taken care of this somehow. also, the black rubber on the shifter is beginning to peel after less than 2 weeks! if the knob didnt cost me $40 and look good, i would just put the stock one back on. anyone having similar problems?

oh yeah, after shifting with it for a bit your hand turns completely black, im guessing from the black rubber rubbing off? or maybe it *could* be the aluminum rubbing (i know aluminum tends to turn black when its rubbed, but i think its the rubber). makes me wonder about steedas quality, and its definitely embarassing to have your hand stained black all night after driving your car.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #2
Snakeman
Registered Member

Default when i took industrial crafts...

back in jr hi school, we made aluminum castings, to keep it from rubbing off use a thin coating of clear laquer to keep the aluminum off your hands.

the heat issue...
i was thinking that they might put in a phenolic spacer between the threads and the knob, though that might allow the knob to wiggle around slightly which would not be good.

i only touch my shifter when actually shifting since i got the aluminum knob.

i do like my aluminum shift knob tho.
mine was made by Fabrication And Speed Tech. out of L.A.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
ac97gt
Registered Member

yeah i figured they would do something... even plastic threads, i mean, i dont know, im not their design engineer, but im over here shifting with two fingers holding only the rubber praying i dont get 3rd degree burns

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 08-18-2003, 10:13 PM   #4
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking Knob

I got the Steeda Tri Ax too, and I've got the knob (Steeda) with the black around the edges, and the Al. (or whatever that is) Steeda emblem on the top of it. I know you prolly like your all al. knob...but mine has no problem w/ the heat!!
I love my shifter too!
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:07 AM   #5
ac97gt
Registered Member

thats interesting.... read this. i found this post the day after i posted here. it seems there are many unhappy people. though they seem to think it has everything to do with the sunlight . mine, at least, does not. i get home from driving on the highway AT NIGHT (no sun), and get back in the car after it has sat for 30min to an hour, and that sucker is red hot, the kind of hot that is uncomfortable to shift with. depending on how hot it was during the day, and the night time air temperature also, of course. its the transfer from the tranny to the aluminum shifter, to the aluminum handle, to the aluminum knob (this is my best guess anyway, and being that aluminum is awesome at heat conduction, i think its valid). the worst part is definitely the black stuff that gets on your hand, and as another member on that board noted, it is indeed difficult to remove. they did mention, also, that MGW makes much better knobs, and that they used to make them for steeda, before steeda made their own. maybe its possible that your knob is older and was crafted by MGW for steeda, before steeda started using shitty components (or something?). this knob is newer (bought it about a month ago), so maybe this is a reason. anyway, sorry the post is so long, and im glad to hear your knob is problem free! i too enjoy the triax as its so easy (and fun!) to shift and IMPOSSIBLE to miss gears.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
More to come with money!

My Ride
Old 08-19-2003, 08:50 AM   #6
VeNuM
Registered Member

I have a Tri-Ax and aluminum shift knob and it sometimes gets warm, but never hot. I mean I can always have my hand on it, it never gets to the point where you can't touch it. Weird ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:06 AM   #7
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Question ?

I thought about the sun thing but I'm topless 24/7 in Deep in the South of TEXASS where the heat index is waaaaay in the 100*+.. Ive NEVER ever had a problem w/ mine. Guess I should consider myself lucky. Thats prolly the ONLY thing that I have not had a problem with...Interesting though....
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
VeNuM
Registered Member

Topless: Now you have something to shoot for! ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote