MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2003, 08:46 PM   #1
Jamie_DTR
Registered Member

Default Engine Detailing

What is the best product for detailing my 94 GT Engine? I think detail shops use a foam that cleans, and then leaves behind a good shine. Anybody know what they might use?

Thanks,

Jamie
Old 04-21-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
Mass Stang
Registered Member

I use Castrol General purpose cleaner in the purple bottle. I warm the engine up (Just a little), give it a quick rinse, then spray on the degreaser (Cut 50/50) makes sure you don't get any on the paint (I Ussualy wet the hole nose of the car to be safe). Rinse off. Wait for it to dry and use what ever you like for an armourall type product. I detailed for 10 years and it always worked well for me.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
Jamie_DTR
Registered Member

Mass,

Thanks for the tips. I was just curious if the shops really spend the time to detail an engine by hand, of if they use some "quick" method. Either way it looks nice when they did done with it.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
Mass Stang
Registered Member

No problem man. For the application I was using it for it was cleaning in fresh trades for sale at a dealership. No matter how you do it, it has to be degreased, but as far as detailing it after depends on weather or not you have any polishable metals or how involved you want to get with the plastic pieces with the armoural. But warming the engine (A little bit) gives it that steam clean affect when you are washing it.