MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
9TOFIVER
Registered Member

Default I need some tips on using bondo

i've never used it before, im going to be using it for a big dent and a crease , im going to do my best to pop the dent out the best i can first before heading to the bondo. Any tips on applying bondo, what to look out for and what to do??..any help appericated...thanks
9TOFIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: I need some tips on using bondo

Tip #1 Read the instructions on the can, and mix accordingly
Tip #2 Don't get in a hurry
Tip #3 Don't use a grinder or disc on a drill to sand it, it will never be smooth
Tip #4 Wear a dust mask or you will be breathing the dust for days

Now, you are ready to start. Sand the paint from the area you are repairing, allow some overlap area around the edges. Sand it to bare metal and get it perfectly clean. Stir the bondo in the can first so it is uniform, and measure some out and add the hardener. Stir like crazy with a putty knife until the color is uniform, then using long strokes apply the bondo to he panel. Make light coats, it is better to apply thin coats and sand smooth and apply again than it is to try and fill the dent in one application.

As the bondo hardens it becomes warm to the touch and tacky. Using a cheesegrater file, make long light strokes across the bondo, taking the high spots down, be careful not to dig in. Next, using a rubber sanding block wih 40 Grit dry paper sand lightly, long strokes from side to side and across diagonally until the bondo is fairly smooth, then finish with 80 or 100 Grit dry sandpaper to smooth and feather the edges with the rest of the panel.

Dust the area completely and slowly rub the palm of your hand across the area. If you can feel it, it will show, so make another application of bondo and repeat the above steps. When you are happy with the results clean thoroughly and apply primer in thin coats. When the primer is dry (completely) use your sanding block with 220 grit wetordry paper dry and sand lightly. If it looks smooth and feels smooth, dust and clean thoroughly and reapply the primer. When dry (completely) sand with 320 and blend with the rest of the panel.

If you are not painting the whole car, wet sand the whole panel you are working, don't try to blend in a spot, the paint will not match, it will always show, so paint the whole panel.

I hope this helps. Bondo is not difficult but it does take time to do it right. Good luck! If I can help more you can email me at haroldbob@hotmail.com or AIM s/n mrchadsdad

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote