MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
MLMike25
Registered Member

Default Is it "safe" to use chrome polish on the aluminum 5 stars?

I have a 93 notch with the aluminum factory 5 star pony rims. Is there a chance I might mess up my rims if I use Turtle Wax chrome polish on aluminum? Could I accidentally remove any clear polish that might already be on the rim? The reason I ask is b/c I remember doing this a long time ago on another car with aluminum rims and the center cap got pretty messed up (I think it was plastic though). Is it possible to mess up the rims by using the chrome polish?
Old 02-13-2005, 04:37 AM   #2
ThreePedals
2 pedals=0 fun!

Default Re: Is it "safe" to use chrome polish on the aluminum 5 stars?

The short answer: no. Your wheels are painted, rather than plated or polished, and therefore not meant to be polished. There are probably some nasty side effects, though I'm not sure exactly what. I'd use a wheel cleaner from Meguiar's or Mother's, or better yet, see what Ford recommends.
ThreePedals is offline   Reply With Quote