MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
chrismc101
Registered Member

Default RUST areas, Can Someone Help Me...

I have a couple of small rust spots that I wanna tackle & get out of the way before I get my car painted.

One spot is in front of the driver side back fenderwell. Another spot is along the bottom part of passenger door and got a couple of small rust holes at the top of hatchback.

I wanna take care of this rust, patch those holes or whatever I need to do; but don't have any knowledge in this area. If some have some DIY know how for me; can you please list products that I need and will work best for me. (i.e.) sanding paper, bondo/filler, fiberglass gause, etc, etc...

I thank whomever in advance.
chrismc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
chrismc101
Registered Member

Default Re: RUST areas, Can Someone Help Me...

So, are there nobody on this board that does their own or have knowledge on fixing rust spot & preparing your ride for paint?
chrismc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: RUST areas, Can Someone Help Me...

Removing rust is a complex process, and it's very difficult to get it to stay gone (nearly impossible). The quarter panel happens to be a VERY nasty spot on the Mustang as the rust originated from inside the fender, not outside.

In order to have a shot at getting rid of the (hopefully small) rust spot, you'll need to get in behind the fender and remove all the rusted material. Wire brushes happen to work pretty well at ripping all the loose stuff away so you can see what's going on underneath. You'll also need to take it back a ways into clean metal. Make sure you apply a metal etching primer to the area once you're done with that.

In all honesty, it's very likely that your quarter panel is completely rusted through which will require some sort of fiberglass or bondo work once you remove all the infected metal.

My advice? Pay a pro to do it if you want it done right. It's worth the couple hundred extra it's going to cost you.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote