MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-15-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool Paint Oxidation

What do ya'll use to get off oxidation? I just bought a Red 95 Mustang GT and the paint is oxidized pretty bad. Probably never seen much of a wax job since new (though only 77,000 miles on it). The car is turning a bit of a copper color. The front left fender has been repainted from having been keyed so you can see what the color is supposed to be like. The paint around the taillights is horrible. What can I do? How can I get the color back?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:25 AM   #2
Rebel79
News Editor

Well, truth be told, you are pretty much screwed. Being a former professional car detailer, I'll give it to you straight. You can salvage the paint, but it will never look 'new' again. Red can be a hard color to restore, especially from oxidation, but its not as bad as black. If you are handy with a buffer, then I suggest getting a medium strenth compound and buffing out the paint. If not, you can do it by hand, but your arm will fall off before you're done with a panel of the car.

I would suggest forking out about $200 and having a professional detail shop buff out your paint. They can get it close to the original color depending on how bad the paint has faded. The only think you risk is them 'burning' the paint. When you buff a car its always a concern, especially when trying to get out scratches or oxidation. However, if the detail shop is any good, then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you you were local, I'd detail the car for you.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote