MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-30-2004, 01:22 AM   #1
20LbsBoost

Default Plastic License Plate Sheilds / Covers ?

Now I'm really curious if anyone has one of these clear or smoked dark plastic license plate covers over their rear state registration plate.

If so, why? I'd like specific reasons for this.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
FordFastGirl5.0
Registered Member

Default ???????

I have no idea, I see them all the time too, Aren't they illegal anyways? But, no idea why they do either, unless they want to black it out some or something. ????????????????
holly upper/lower intake, timing chains, F303 cam, 24lb fuel injectors, 75mm mass air meter, underdrive pulleys, 3:73 gears, BBK C.A.I., BBK long tube headers, Off road H-pipe, 17" cobra R's, 2800 stall yet to come.......
FordFastGirl5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
mustardjohn
Registered Member

I do. It came with the car when I bought it. Not sure why its on there but it does not block any of the tag from view. Looks ok to me.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
I do. It came with the car when I bought it. Not sure why its on there but it does not block any of the tag from view. Looks ok to me.
I guarantee it blocks it from certain angles of view, not to mention defeating the stamping of the letters/numbers in the metal. They do that for a specific reason.
----------------------------
Well, here's the skinny. I have been seeing more and more of'em and wonder what the allure is . I've read the packaging on them in the stores and it clearly says "May be illegal in your state". You guys obviously know it's probably not a good idea so do people not care, not read the package or not realize it's a problem?

Not sure if you guys know but I'm a deputy sheriff and have realized for years it's not a good idea (not to mention illegal) to put these things over license plates. I'm just trying to see what the "general public" (you guys) feel about them and if it's common knowledge for those in the non law-enforcement community to know it's illegal.

I'm beginning to see more and more of these things and wondered the following;
- Why?
- Does the average person know it's illegal?
- Should they be warned or ticketed?

From my perspective there's many people who need to be able to read license plates. Those include; gas station workers, other motorists, regular merchants, toll booth cameras, pedestrians and generally anyone who interacts with cars.

So far I believe 75% or so of those who have them know it's illegal but for whatever reason opt to keep'em.

Thanks again for the input. I don't want to be a d|ck on the streets but sometimes we're forced to be.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated.

* Oh, and on a side note I used to ask people to remove them instead of getting a ticket but had a complaint lodged on me for doing just that so that's not an option anymore. And people wonder why some cops are jaded.....

Thanks again,
Old 01-31-2004, 06:42 PM   #5
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Not sure how you can guarantee anything having not seen my tag or its cover.

Sounds like your mind is already made up.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
Not sure how you can guarantee anything having not seen my tag or its cover.

Sounds like your mind is already made up.
Well, I've seen every type of plastic cover and if it's (clear or otherwise) it'll do this:

- Defeats the purpose of stamped letters/numbers in the metal.
- Reflects sunlight defeating the purpose of contrasting colors on the plate specifically chosen by the DMV to allow clear and easy viewing from most any angle.
- Just a little road haze (grime) completely obscures the registration when it wouldn't otherwise.

I'd be glad to hear logical rebuttals since I haven't seen your cover and you have.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

They are illegal in Texas, as are any frame that obscures any part of the lettering on the tag. This just went into effect a few months ago. Most of the Dealer frames are even illegal now.

I have heard that these smoke license covers obscure the license plate from reflecting laser, at least that is why my brother-in-law put them on his T-Bird.
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:18 AM   #8
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

My plates have been covered with ice, snow, and grime for three weeks...someone better lock me up.

20lbsBoost, seems like you were trying to "setup" a few folks with your thread. I think we would all have been better served if you had just been straight forward with everyone and simply stated "I am a cop and we are being asked to stop people with plate covers."

I suppose you are always a cop, but when on this message board, we assume that you are a Mustang driver first. Not that any of us try to skirt the law on purpose.

I will give you a perfect example, I drive 65,000 miles a year. I use a radar detector, not so I can speed, but it keeps me honest and from getting lost (it has a compass too). My point is, there may be a few who are up to no good with plate covers, but I suspect most use them because they like the way they look.

You guys have a tough job. Cops use to drive kids home to their parents if they grabbed them at a party drinking or smoking dope, now they get hauled off to jail. Why? Because of layers suing police stations. I hope that in this new world all of you can still excercise common sense judgement and focus on things that really matter the most.

You know that the number one cause of death in this country among children under the age of 12 is car accidents? Most of these kids die because of drunks, poor driving, impropper seating, and poor use of car seats. I hardly think any of them have lost their lives due to a plate cover.

Go get the bad guys.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:27 PM   #9
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Couple of points

First, I don't buy the thought about raised letters being on purpose. I am not an expert on all the tags from all the states but I do know that at least one does not have raised letters, Delaware. I lived there so I know that. I'd be willing to bet there are others. I believe it is a function ot the technology used to make the plates. I believe that when they first started making plates they stamped them and have just kept on doing that in most states, ergo, the raised letters. I will continue to believe this until I see more than anticdotal evidence to the contrary.

Second, In Texas the registration is not on the tag but the windshield along with the state inspection sticker so a tag holder can not obsure the registration.

It is not illegal in Texas to have a tag holder or cover. It is illegal to obsure your tag. Just in the last month there was a high ranking DPS Officer on a local talk radio station clarifying this point as it has been blown completely out of proportion here. The issue was raised over cheaters on the Houston toll ways using the redipass lanes and obsuring their tag so it could not be read. A penalty of up to $200 may be imposed on people who obsure their tags for these purposes, but it not illegal to have a tag cover or tag holder that does not obsure the tag. He sepcifically stated that if you could see that it was a Texas tag you were ok. It would take a pretty big holder to block out Texas on our tags.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:09 PM   #10
20LbsBoost

Wasn't trying to set anyone up, there is no purpose for doing so. I'm just trying to understand the purpose or need for such devices. Since I've been driving at 16 yrs old I knew it was a bad idea to use such a cover. In fact an old girlfriend used one many years ago before I decided to get into law enforcement and I tried to get an answer out of her on it...never could. I warned her that she could get stopped for it but she doesn't seem to care... I just don't get it.

I'm not sure if it's the plate designer's intent to make the plates more easily read with stamped letters/numbers but I know for a fact it allows them to be read even if the plate is completely covered in dirt or mud. I've read them myself under such conditions. Unstamped plates would be totally unreadable.

I look at hundreds of license plates every day. Most people look one once a year to put the renewal tag on their own.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:27 AM   #11
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Stamped plate numbers/letters are becoming a thing of the past.

Ohio ditched them last year. All new plates from Ohio are now just printed on the plate.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:20 PM   #12
Ford-GT-40
Registered Member

Talking

20lbsboost

I thought this was a ford site? What plant did they make that V-6 in ???

Just remember there is no replacement for displacement !!!!!
Ford-GT-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #13
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford-GT-40
20lbsboost

I thought this was a ford site? What plant did they make that V-6 in ???

Just remember there is no replacement for displacement !!!!!
Off topic....but since you ask;

As I'm sure you already know, the Buick 3.8 Litre Turbo V-6 in the Grand National and 1989 Turbo Trans Am is LEGENDARY. A lot of racers are uneasy about running against a GN since it's almost impossible to tell the difference between an 11 second one vs. a 14 second one.

Try these vids:
The Nashville Network
Car & Driver
Turbo T/A on TNN