MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-27-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Angry Streaks

Why does windex and paper towles leave streaks on my windows!? I cant stand it. What do you use to clean your windows?

And while I'm at it.. what do you use for the inside too. Like the dash..
Sicy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Windex turns tint purple

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:57 AM   #3
StangFlyer
Founder

I use "Brawn glass cleaner with ammonia". It works much better! You need something with ammonia in it. This is like a foamy spray and I found it at a local hardware store. But, it probably can be found at the auto parts store or bigger grocery/department stores too.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:04 AM   #4
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
Windex turns tint purple
Duh not the inside of the windows, the outside

Thanks Dan, I'll look for that.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:45 AM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Regarding the outside of windows. I use soap (car wash) and water (do the windows, of course, the same time I do the car). I have become a large advocate of Rain X. When I used to use it for windows, I noticed that it not only made water run off the windows, but it also cleaned the windows the better than any window cleaner I have ever used. Recently, I have started using the Rain X Window wax. I was overly satisfied and actually surprised at how long it lasts (much longer than the regular Rain X)... Honestly, I put it on (all windows, but 2 coats on the front windshield) and the windows would bead up just like the paint (BTW, I have recently made the lifetime switch from TurtleWax to Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax..... there is no comparison in shine and durability!). I expected it to last at the most for a few days to a week. I could still see its effects, of course, a little less-pronounced, almost 3 weeks later (this was even after washing the car--- same goes for the Mothers Wax)....

For the interior vinyl, totally deserted Armor All and Son of a Gun type products. Too many warnings about those on interior vinyl from detailers and car owners. Now I use Meguire's Vinyl wax. Good smell that lasts and I noticed that it gives a more authentic shine unlike Armor All which is usually too shiny and oily. BTW, I've also noticed that that authentic shine from Meguire's lasts ALOT longer than the AA one.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:31 PM   #6
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Wow.. thank you for the thorough reply. Yes, RAIN X! I couldnt remember what it was called but I remembered I have heard you guys talk about it before. I suppose I can find it at any Kraegen or auto parts store? With the Rain X do you use paper towles to wipe it off? Or a regular towel or rag?
Old 10-29-2003, 02:31 PM   #7
Matt Erich
Registered Member

This may sounds crazy but i have been doing this for 5 years now. After i wipe the window down with a paper towel, i then go over it with a coffee filter and you will not see any streaks at all, PROMISE. This was a old trick my grandpa showed me,
Give it a shot
Matt
Matt Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:50 PM   #8
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I use Windex on my windows but I always have to go over them a few times to make sure there aren't any streaks.

For the interior I use 303 Protectant. It provides a nice clean look. Not glossy or greasy like some of the other products.

If you still want some ideas/techniques for windows or interior, check out www.autopia.org If those guys can't help you, no one can

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 03:32 AM   #9
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Thumbs up

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:17 AM   #10
stanger9219
Registered Member

steel wool polishs glass, but of course, dont use it on the tint.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:08 PM   #11
CobraJet428
Registered Member

Default Try This

I had the same problem when I had my 93 GT and the windows were tinted. A friend suggested that I use old newspapers instead of paper towels. Believe it or not, it worked. I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.
Rice Haters Club Member #237
2007 Vista Blue Mustang GT Convertible w/black top and charcoal interior, 18-in. polished aluminum wheels.
1978 Ford F150 Ranger Longbed, 400M w/automatic and 2 fuel tanks...get the picture?
1993 Mustang GT Dark Blue/Grey 2-tone. Flowmaster Mufflers and blackouts on the headlights. RIP (10/31/99).
1968 Mustang 6 cyl/C4 automatic
1938 Ford Pickup, Flathead V8 (85HP) with granny 4-speed..a restoration work in progress.
CobraJet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:50 PM   #12
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Arrow

NAPA sells a nice glass cleaner as well. It's a 'foam' kind that contains ammonia and does a nice job. I think it's called 'Mac's Glass Cleaner' - again, made/marketed by NAPA.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:05 PM   #13
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Man, I love this crap. I bet the guy that started this post did not think he was going to get so many responses.

I am a chemical engineer and I work for the largest supplier and inventor of chemical cleaning supplies in the world. We own Blue Coral and Westley's to name a few. We also sell products that are used in labs and hospitals to clean medical and test equipment. Those items HAVE to be clean. Not just for for appearance.

The best way to keep your car windows clean is to not get them dirty, duh! Don't smoke...the oil in the tabaco will cause you tons of problems. Also, the Armor All type products will create a residue on your windows. These product actually volitalize, so minimize their use and don't apply too much on your dash.

Assuming that you just have car windows that aren't subject to wierd stuff getting on them, there is really no substitute for ammonia based cleaners. I like to use Stoner's "Invisble Glass", although, I am not sure if this stuff actually has ammonia in it. I think I checked once before buying it the first time. Also, don't use cotton rags that have been washed. The chemical in the laundry detergent will cause streaks.

BTW, my wife uses the Invisible Glass around the house...drives me nuts. I can never find it. Buy two bottles if your married.

Keep 'em clean!

Blake

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:08 PM   #14
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Man, I love this crap. I bet the guy that started this post did not think he was going to get so many responses.
I'm a girl

My brother actually suggested newspaper to me when I was at the house the other day. It does work!

I have however unfortunately been broke and lazy and havent been able to get to an auto supply store to try the suggested products

I do know that Kraegens carrys the Maguire cleaner for the inside and I will also look for the amonia based window cleaner soon!