MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-24-2001, 12:20 AM   #1
Smokie
Registered Member

Question WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Ok I ran into a problem with my car..I took all the factory wiring out of it and wired it up myself..Its a carb car so I thought it would be easy..I hooked my ingnition up to a toggle switch and put a push button start button in it..The car turns over great..But I cant get no spark..I tried eliminating the brain box and still cant get nothing..Im using the factory distributer..I also tried it with the brain box..If someone can help me it would be greatly appriciated..I just need to know what i'm doing wrong..I have power to the coil and to the distributer and still have nothing..I've tried three coils and two dist..Nothing seems to work ..Please help..
Smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:06 AM   #2
PKRWUD

1962 Bel Air? 1974 Le Sabre? 1978 Mustang? 1988 Thunderbird? Come on man, how are we supposed to help you without even knowing what year/make/model/engine you're talking about? What mods does it have? What ignition components did you install/uninstall? How did you wire it? Help us help you.

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:28 AM   #3
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Cool

Hmm Factory distributor probably still needs some of the factory wiring to work. Sounds like you need a non computer distributor, or replace some of the TFI wiring harness and perform some type of computer bypass, if that is possible someone here will know about it.

If you find a ford duraspark type distributor or aftermarket one MSD ACCELL etc.. Remember if you are running a stock HO EFI roller cam you need the proper distributor gear to mesh properly with the steel camshaft ( your stock distribtor already has this gear on it)

------------------
Frank W 90 5.0 LX Notch MAC 2.5"cat bk FMS alu ds, MSD coil, MAC shifter 2.73 gears user site
88 Notch 2.3L FOR SALE! My two Notchbacks
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 now 454 soon My web site
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:32 PM   #4
Smokie
Registered Member

The car is a 1986 GT..I have a stock 302 block with a 472 496 flat tappet cam..Edlebrock RPM intake with 650 Holley..The block is a 1968 with 70,000 miles on it..I took the points distributer out..The heads are ported and I have Manley valves with heavy duty springs..New oil pump and timming chain...I really don't have the money for an after market distributer or I would buy one..Thats why I'm trying to make this work..Theres three wires going into the brain box two red and one white would I have to splice one of them into the starter switch? I have power every where but cant get nothing to happen..
Old 10-25-2001, 01:34 AM   #5
PKRWUD

I need to know which "brain box" you're using, and which distributor you're using. just out of curiosity, do you get power to the red wire when the key is on?

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 10-25-2001, 04:33 PM   #6
Smokie
Registered Member

its just a duraspark brain box and factory duraspark distributer..Vacuum advance...I dont have to turn the key in the car..I dont have that hooked up..I'm using a push button start and toggle switches on everything else..Theres two red wires and one white wire..I got power to both red wires.I have no factory wires at all in the car..
Old 10-26-2001, 03:37 AM   #7
PKRWUD

There should be either two or three harness connectors coming out of the box. How many does yours have, and what are the colors of all the wires? Also, what color is the plastic molding by the wires on the box (little, blue, green, etc.)?

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet