MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2001, 10:29 PM   #1
69roadrunner
Registered Member

Post disk brake conversion for '65 Mustang

Hi, I'm back.

My neighbor wants to get rid of the manual brakes on his '65 Mustang coupe and install disk brakes. He doesn't know how and I volonteered to help.

It is a 4 lug car as it used to be a 6 cylinder car. What other Ford car can I use as a parts car to do the swap? He is having trouble finding new disk conversions for a 4 lug car.

Also, if there is interchange capability, do I need any other parts besides spindles, like the control arms?

Thanks for the help.
69roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 09:51 AM   #2
amartin725
Registered Member

So, it's now a V8?

I'm working on this using the stock hub, an Infiniti rotor and a GM caliper, but it probably shouldn't be used on a V8 car because it's only a 10" rotor, yet extremely beefy. It may work for a mild V8.

http://pages.prodigy.net/al.martin/DB3.jpg

http://pages.prodigy.net/al.martin/DB4.jpg

http://pages.prodigy.net/al.martin/DB5.jpg

His best bet is to do the Granada swap. You get 5-lugs and a nice large 11" rotor. Here's some info on the swap

http://www.texasinternet.com/~dsigns...c%20Brakes.htm

To be able to keep the existing tie rods, you can use these bushings

http://www.geocities.com/mustangstev...dbushings.html

The control arms for the 6 vs. 8 are the same, as well as the strut rods. The spindles and all steering components up to the steering box are 6cyl specific. The steering box itself is the same as what came in the V8.

Another way to go is to get a pair of V8 spindles and purchase a V8 disk conversion kit. But then you need to swap steering components.

The Granada swap includes spindles and may run $300 - $500. With the bushings, you don't have to change steering components.

A Wilwood kit is about $500 - $600 using stock V8 spindles.

The SSB stock disk brake conversion kit can run up to $1000.

After I finish my 4-lug kit, I'm going to do a 5-lug kit. Camry and Mazda rotors have the same 5-lug pattern as the Fords, so I'm going to use a V8 spindle and drum brake hub, slide the Camry/Mazda rotor over it and make a bracket for the GM caliper.

Why GM??? They cost $15 each; they are readily available; you can get many different types of pad compounds; other companies such as Howe and Wilwood make performance aftermarket replacement calipers; many racers use them; they are rated much better than Ford calipers (sorry guys, but it's true); and did I mention they cost $15??

Al
amartin725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 06:42 PM   #3
69roadrunner
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info. This should help out alot.

Yeah, he put a pretty hot 289 in the six cylinder car and I got it running pretty good for him. This guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He just dropped about $3000 in Centerline wheels and tires and had them custom drilled for 4 lugs!!! Now he wants to change his braking. This guy is dead set on putting on rotors that he can bolt his 4 lug wheels to.

Thanks again for the sites.

Old 08-01-2001, 07:49 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

If he really wants 4 lugs, just let him get a 4 lug kit from Stainless Steel Brakes. He can then just bolt it on. Hope he never has to sell that combo.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 12:29 PM   #5
69roadrunner
Registered Member

Thanks Rev. I talked him into the stainless setup. For about $1100 you get all front end pieces, power booster, and adjustable pushrod. He ordered it Saturday.

The braking system is definitely the weak link. This guy has sub-frame connectors, front and rear s. bars, a strong 289, and little 1.075" spindles with 3/8" tie rod end bolts.