MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #21
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I just opened a car wash in my garage (lol).

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:35 PM   #22
mustardjohn
Registered Member

I am really learning a lot here. I got the assorted MF towels. like 5 of the regular 16x16 one larger ultra fine, the even larger waffel weave drying towel and they threw in a mit and three fine foam wax applicators plus free shipping for I think $54. I can't get started on my cars with less towels than that. When I get done I have washer full of towels. I am hoping that waffel weave will work as well or better than the chamois I have been using to dry the cars.

Will report back on the results. Here on the Gulf Coast we can wash cars all year long as well as cut grass for about 10 months.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:29 PM   #23
nydon
Registered Member

Correct me if i'm wrong guys. I thought the clay bars were used for cars that had 3-5 year old paint? I know it's good for tree sap and so forth, but it looks like it's market for cars that are a couple of years old that usually sit outside and get beaten by the elements. Let me know....
nydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:26 PM   #24
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by nydon
Correct me if i'm wrong guys. I thought the clay bars were used for cars that had 3-5 year old paint? I know it's good for tree sap and so forth, but it looks like it's market for cars that are a couple of years old that usually sit outside and get beaten by the elements. Let me know....
Not true. Even new cars collect rail dust and other crap from being transported to the dealership. A new car would probably benefit even more than an older car because you would be properly cleaning the surface of all debris right from the start. If I bought a new car, I would drive it home and clay it first thing. Then you have a perfect surface to start detailing.

Even if you have a garage kept car, you still drive it on the road right? Well when you wash it, washing won't get absolutely everything off of the finish. That is where the clay comes in. Even garage queens would benefit from a claying.

John: When you wash those towels, make sure you use plain unscented liquid detergent (ie Tide, etc.). Wash/rinse in cold water, dry on air fluff (no heat) and don't use any dryer sheets. You will be very pleased with the waffle weave towel. It soaks up a boatload of water!!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #25
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
I just opened a car wash in my garage (lol).
Join the club! At least in the garage, you can wash your car in the middle of the afternoon and don't have to worry about water spots!

Old 01-10-2004, 12:51 AM   #26
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I have used clay bars a lot, you can take a perfect looking car and clay bar it, and it gets slicker. I have a black Chevy truck, it takes all day, but wow! I don't drive it much and it sits in the driveway all day, so it doesn't happen often.

I have used all kinds of car wash soap, but its funny, my favorite is Turtle Wax Zip Wax, I buy it by the half gallon at Walmart. I tried it by accident, my mother-in-law bought me this car care assortment for Christmas one year because it came in a tin with a 65 Mustang on it. I ran out of whatever expensive stuff I was using at the time and tried it, and now I use it all the time.

I like detail sprays in between washes, got in the habit when I drove a black truck all the time, I hate to wash that thing, its so big! The Zaino Gloss Enhancer is awesome, but I run through it so quickly. I have a gallon of ClearKote Instant Shine that I use all the time, and save the Zaino for shows.

I use a duster first to remove any dust, then I use two diapers, one wet that I spray the detail spray on and wipe over the finish, and one dry one to polish. It takes about 30 minutes and the car looks like you spent all day on it. I think it cuts down on wax frequency.

In a pinch (road trip) I like Mothers Showtime Gold or Meguire's Quik Detail.

I have tried every window cleaner there is, but the guy who taught me to wash cars at his gas station when I was 15 taught me to use a wet diaper and a dry diaper. Never streaks, leaves no filmy deposits that show up later.

I love rubbing on my cars, I sit on my son's skateboard when doing the sides and wheels, it gets me down where the car is and I don't miss spots.
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:01 AM   #27
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Oh, the ClearKote Instant Shine isn't available at Walmart either, you can order it from www.clearkote.com. I bought it at a swap meet, but didn't like the finish on the black truck I had then, so I put it on the shelf. When we bought the 98 GT back in October I was out of Zaino, so we pulled it out and tried it and it does really great on Laser Red, not to mention Autumn Orange.

My son has caught on now, he will get out in the garage at least twice a week and rub the 98 down. Just wish he would do mine!

The cool thing about detail sprays is NO WATER SPOTS!!!! I do always spray it on diaper first, soaking it thoroughly, because spraying it direct sometimes leaves overspray where you have already been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98gt1.jpg (67.8 KB, 10 views)
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:07 PM   #28
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I love detail sprays. I use Eagle One Wax as you Dry everytime. May try Maguires next time.

Maguires also has a new tire trim line of products that works very well. You can even adjust the spray nozzle depending on the tire profile. Works just like the package says.

When the temp increases around here, I am going to try the clay bar. 4 below zero last night. Hum..cut grass for ten months...no problem...I have a service anyway. That's it...I am moving.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:25 PM   #29
FordFastGirl5.0
Registered Member

MEGIUAR'S IS THE BEST I USE IT ALL THE TIME, AND I WOULDN'T USE ANYTHING ELSE!
holly upper/lower intake, timing chains, F303 cam, 24lb fuel injectors, 75mm mass air meter, underdrive pulleys, 3:73 gears, BBK C.A.I., BBK long tube headers, Off road H-pipe, 17" cobra R's, 2800 stall yet to come.......
FordFastGirl5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #30
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Stang_Crazy the towels are in, washed and folded. Unfortunately it is supposed to rain all weekend. I am off Monday so maybe the sun will be shinning and I will get to try them out. They look first class and feel really good. Can't wait.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #31
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Default Report Back on MF Towels

Well it finally stoped raining and we had a beautiful day. Blue sky and temp around 70F.

Washed the mustang and clayed it. Coluld not believe how smooth the clay got it and how much it pulled off of a 2003 Mustang! Son...! You would not believe it. Works great on the windows too. It pulled a temendous amount of crap off the rear windshield. You can HEAR it working when you slid it across a spot when you first start! Do use plenty of lube.

Got to use the the new MF towels. Another great surprise! 100% better than cotton. I used half as many as usual. And they soak up water better than anything I have seen. Used the normal MF towels to clean up after the claying and during polish and wax (Meguiar's). Used the ultra fine to make the final wipe. Worth every penny of the ~$50 for 4 regular MF, one ultra, and one large waffel weave and a mit. The place in Hawaii has a real personal touch too. I will never go back to terry towels. This is a great learning from this board. Windows streak free. Very pleased!

Everyone was impressed by the new depth of the shine. Done in three hours. I know you are not supposed to rush but I guess I just had a lot of energy and the new towels were great with less work over of stubborn spots and the added absorbancy.

I took some pics and got the same effect as Stang_Crazy. Maybe not quite as good as his reflection shot though. My file srinking software is down or I would post them.

Try the clay and the MF towels. You will be impressed.

Last edited by mustardjohn; 01-25-2004 at 07:05 PM..
mustardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 06:59 PM   #32
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Ok here is a pic.. I think....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car reflection.jpg (140.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-26-2004, 03:03 AM   #33
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Lookin' good!!

I sent ya a PM about those towels.

Keep up the good work!