MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Need some opinions on wheels

Folks:

I have been looking at wheels for my '00 Mustang. While I know this is very much a personal choice, I believe I have found one that I really like. It is a little different, so keep an open mind, but be honest. Please keep in mind that I have a black vert.

www.eaglewheels.com

I can't take you directly there (for some reason), so you will need to click on "replica wheels" and then on "FR500" after getting to the site. I like the ones in anthrocite color. They are only available in 18x9's. I am not sure how I feel about that as I was thinking about sticking with 17s.

Thanks.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Looks good. Looks like a good price but I guess there is shipping and maybe tax to consider. Look like they would be easy to clean. Some wheels are too intricate in my opinion and you can never clean them in a reasonable amt of time.

Your right it is a very personal choice.

Does anthracite mean they are shinny black? That would be interesting.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Anthrocite means that they are kind of a dark grey color. I am also looking at these two:

What do you think:

http://www.afswheels.com/v2/ecommerce/shopexd.asp?id=10

Price on this one is $595, but I think I can get them for $400.

Also this one. It's a cool MACH1 Replica.

http://www.afswheels.com/v2/ecommerc...exd.asp?id=135

They are almost $1000, but I think I can get them for less than $400. The price reductions are auction prices that I have seen them go for.

Which one would you pick. BTW, the 18" versions of the two seem to go for a little $ at auction. I guess guys are afraid of dropping the extra cash for the tires.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 01-28-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
mustardjohn
Registered Member

I like the Mach replicas the best. Simple powerful lines. Don't like the roundish 2 tone ones. Either your first choice or the Mach replicas which have the stronger look. OK the Mach replicas are the best of the three especially if you can get them for $400-$600.

Still a real personal thing here.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
nydon
Registered Member

Hey Blake..i looked at the site you mentioned under "replica wheels"...i really like the bullit style ones w/ the deep dish. Look @ the "customer rides" on that section (bullit style) and you'll see a dark blue(or is it black) mustang w/ the deep dish style. It looks kick ***. It is a personal choice...but I think on a black vert they'd look bad. Depends on what you want to have your ride look like though...
nydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Gents, thanks for the reply...I got some different opinions which is good.

Tire Rack sells the black bullit ones but instead of the Cobra logo they have a Mustang logo. I kind of like the Mustang Logo better as I don't have a cobra. They are $155 each from Tire Rack, a little higher but I have great confidence in them and I can save some $ if I get tires at the same time (which I need too).

Anyway, I will probably try a few bids at auction and see what happens.

Thanks.

My Stang:
Old 01-28-2004, 10:34 PM   #7
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Nydon:

Were you referring to the Eagle Wheel or the AFS Wheel in Black as the one you liked?

My Stang:
Old 01-29-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
stacy's stang
Registered Member

I was looking at those exact rims(black bullit). I think the black ones look good on a black 'stang. When I discussed it with the guys at the ford place when I was in for some service they acted like that was the most stupid thing they'd ever heard of. They recommended chrome, but I don't think I'd like that with my tan top. I'll probably go with the black rather than anthracite. sp?
And I want the regular center rather than the cobra since mine isn't a cobra.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #9
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Stacy, I am with you. That is sort of how I feel...I like the black ones too with the pony on it. Problem is, I might be able to get something different for a lot less dough at auction. When you factor in the $, it kind of changes everything.

My Stang:
Old 02-06-2004, 03:37 PM   #10
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Thank you to those that posted a response to my original question and spent a few minutes looking at a few wheels.

Well, I have finally made a decision. I have not placed the order yet, but it is as good as done. I discovered these by accident, but they are similar to others I have looked at.

I am going with a black bullet style. 17 X 9's in front with 245/45/17 tires and a 17 X 10.5 in the back with 285/40/17 tires. The rear wheels have an awsome "deep dish" appearance. Here is a link to the wheels below:

http://www.crossroadzdirect.com

You will have to click on "wheels" and then n the "deep dish" bullets. I am going with black. I am having the cobra center caps removed and replaced with a mustang logo cap.

I chose this brand over the ones from Eagle due to what seemed to be better quality and the customer service at Eagle is lousy. I could get ZERO help.

My Stang:
Old 02-06-2004, 05:33 PM   #11
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Good choice! Just out of curiosity what is the freight on a set of wheels?
Old 02-06-2004, 05:38 PM   #12
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

John:

It is about $80. Some companies I found charged around $50. I did get them to drop price a little though on the wheels.

My Stang:
Old 02-09-2004, 06:58 PM   #13
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Blake,
Have you ordered your rims yet? There was a swap meet in Moultrie GA Sunday and I got the fever pretty bad but they had sold out of everything in my size Saturday.
When I got back to town, I went to the local tire kingdom. I picked out some chrome helo things and went to the mall for over an hour. When I came back they hadn't even run my paperwork thru or taken my car out of the lot. I told them to forget it!
I'm glad I did when I got home I went on Ebay and found some cobra R style rims for $400 less than the ones at tire kingdom. I won the auction!! I feel like I sold out on the black one's I wanted, but everyone I talked to told me to go with chrome. I hope I'm not sorry. I'd love to see yours when they arrive.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:48 PM   #14
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Stacy:

I am not sure where you found yours, but AFS Wheels has TONS of auctions on ebay with great prices. All their wheels are made across the ocean and they are "knock-offs". With that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with their wheels and they have a very high level of customer satisfaction. Quite frankly, most wheels are some type of imitation of some other design anyway, including the ones that I have selected.

I bid on about 10 auctions, but being the cheap bastard that I am, I was trying to catch someone sleeping. I have seen many Cobra R wheels go for around the $400 range. The market is loaded with them which makes it real nice for us. Looks like you were able to take advantage of a good situation.

Think of it, you got new Cobra rims for $400....ain't life great?

I have not yet ordered mine, but I sent the company an email last night telling them that I would be placing an order and asked to reserve a set in case stock was low.

I am also ordering a Cat-Back system (SLP) and then I am DONE for a while...the car has sucked all the money from me that it can for the time being.

When I get the wheels mounted, I will be sure to post photos.

My Stang: