MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
SIXTYSEVENFASTBACK
Registered Member

Question Special Edition Fastback!!

I AM ABOUT TO PURCHASE A 67 MUSTANG FASTBACK!! I HAVE TAKEN A QUICK LOOK AT THE CAR AND ALL BUT DIDNT HAVE THAT MUCH TIME TO LOOK OVER IT GOOD! THE QUESTION IS...THE MAN SAID THAT IT WAS A "SPECIAL EDITION"!! I ASKED WHAT MADE IT A "SPECIAL EDITION" AND HE SAID THAT IT HAS DIFFERENT DOOR HANDLES AND A FEW OTHER THINGS THAT ARE DIFFERENT!! I HAVE DONE MY "HOMEWORK" AND ALREADY HAD A 67 FASTBACK...BUT I CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT WHAT EDITION THIS WAS!! CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT EDITION THAT COULD BE?!?
SIXTYSEVENFASTBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Better put this post in Blue Oval Longe or classic mustangs. More peple will see it that might answer the question
Old 08-09-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

There was no Special Edition other than the Shelby Mustangs, but he is probably referring to the Interior Decor Package.

According to the Mustang Recognition Guide, in 1967 the Interior Decor Option included:

Special door panels with brushed aluminum appliques and molded arm rests. The door handle is a pull back type mounted in the forward section of the arm rest.

Special grille in the lower door with courtesy lights mounted at the center of the door.

Brushed aluminum instrument panel appliques.

Molded seat backs and side shields, plus insert trim buttons on the seat back cushions.

Roof console with twin map lights and switches (except convertible).

Bright teim on brake and clutch pedals.

Vinyl grip insert on automatic shifter (Cruise-O-Matic only).

Electric clock mounted in instrument panel.

Padded quarter trim panels (hardtops only).

Hope this helps, 67 Fastbacks are hot these days because of Gone in 60 Seconds and the GT500 E project!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
SIXTYSEVENFASTBACK
Registered Member

HEY FELLOWS...I REALLY APPRECIATE YALLS HELP!! I SAW THIS CAR "TUCKED" AND PUT OUT OF THE WAY AND I WAS INTERESTED IN IT SO I ASKED THE MAN AND HE GAVE ME A BRIEF DESCRIPTION, YA KNOW, AND ALL HE SAID WAS IT WAS A "SPECIAL EDITION"!! WELL TODAY ME AND MY DAD, WHICH KNOWS ALL ABOUT THESE YEAR CAMAROS , WENT TO LOOK AT IT AND IT HAD ALL OF THE THINGS THAT YOU DESCRIBED ON IT!! IT WAS REALLY SHARP AT ONE POINT AND TIME!! OK...ONE MORE QUESTION...WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS GIVE FOR A CAR LIKE THAT!! NOW I HAVE TO SAY, ITS IN PRETTY ROUGH SHAPE. ALOT OF THE PARTS LIKE THE CHROME STUFF IS CORODED SOME WHAT AND IT HAS SOME BUT NOT JUST A TON OF RUST ON THE BODY. THE INTERIOR IS IN DECENT SHAPE AND THE THE CRANK SHAFT IS BROKE. WHAT DO YOU THINK A CAR LIKE THAT WOULD GO FOR IN THE SHAPE IT IS IN?!?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:49 PM   #5
SIXTYSEVENFASTBACK
Registered Member

Oh yeah...and it has power steering and actual a.c. in it! i think it might have been considered "top of the line" back then!!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:13 AM   #6
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I'm not sure about what they go for, but I know 67 Fastbacks are really hot right now, and parts are cheap (compared to say 69 and up) and plentiful, it was a top of the line car. Look it over real good, underneath and all, make sure it's something you can handle.

I bought the "Red Dress Syndrome" on my 65 and paid too much for a car I thought would be a quick fix and I could cruise while I finished my 66 basket case project, and it turned out I had its twin. Look at my pics on the thread about replacing quarter panels.

If you can handle the work or can afford to have it done then it will be a good project with a good return.

Good luck, I hope you get it!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Old 08-10-2004, 01:32 AM   #7
SIXTYSEVENFASTBACK
Registered Member

I really appreciate your reply!! I'll tell you this...the man said that he would take $800 for it...I myself think that that is a heck of a deal!!! My mom was killed 8 years ago and she had a 67 Fastback...and now that I have "grown up" some...I want one! I think that it would be a great project for me and my da and the great thing about it...theres no TIME LIMIT!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:22 PM   #8
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

$800 for a 67 Fastback? Forget all of the above, GET IT! If you can get a 67 Fastback for $800 you can bring it back! Especially if you have no deadline. Be sure and take lots of pictures when you get it and document everything before you take it apart so you can put it back together.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:39 PM   #9
SIXTYSEVENFASTBACK
Registered Member

That was kinda my thoughts on it! But do you still think that even if it doesnt run...I think I said earlier...the crank shaft is broke!! I still thank that is a great deal though!! If the worst happened...what ever that may be...I could always sell it!!! And the ONLY thang wrong with the body is a very very small amount of rust!! I think I'd be crazy to pass this up!! Dont you?!?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:21 AM   #10
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I had my engine bored and completely rebuilt for $400, heads were $150, we put it all back together and installed it. That is a good deal. By the way, where is this car? j/k, I already sold my "extra" project car this year cause I didnt have space to work on 2 of them and keep my convertible in the garage. Hope you get it!

Old 08-11-2004, 12:29 AM   #11
SIXTYSEVENFASTBACK
Registered Member

I know I am probably driving you crazy...lol...but if you had to guess, what would you say it would take to COMPLETELY restore that car (inside and out)!! You know...the whole works...engine, paint, intertior, etc.!?! I just really want it and my dad is kinda getting into it too!! lol!! This is kinda going be a "starting EMT school" present!! haha!! Thanks soooo much for your help!!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:32 PM   #12
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

That depends first on the car, what kind of condition it is in, and then on your intended purpose. A show car is going to be a lot more expensive than a cruiser, naturally.

I shop Mustang Parts stores online for pricing. For example, www.laurelmountainmustang.com sells interior trim and other items in kits that save a lot of money. My 65 Pony interior was $850 complete with the kit and the seat foam. Separately, it would cost at least $1000. They sell light kits, weatherstrip kits, and other things like that, the complete package, everything you need.

Paint is expensive, whether you do it yourself or have it done. If you do most of your own work it saves money. But you need to make sure your work is good, because if your body work is not good, the paint will not be either. I always strip to bare metal, you know what you are dealing with, good or bad, and you don't end up with waves down the side from sanding.

You also need a place to work on it. My garage is adequate, but I would KILL for a shop, because I have to quit early enough to clean up so I can put my Vert back in the other side. Tools are good to have, I have acquired more tools than Tim "the tool man" Taylor. The right tools make the job go better. Don't get in a hurry, but don't bog down like me, my 65 has been sitting while I have been doing other things, and it's hard to get back to it.

If you need advice, want ideas, my email is haroldbob@hotmail.com, be sure to put Mustang somewhere in the Subject line, because everything coming from an address not in my address book goes to junk mail, and I may delete it if I don't know it is real.

I have been a Mustang junkie all my life, grew up 4 blocks behind the local Junior College and walked home from Elementary School back in the 60's when the parking lot was full of Mustangs. I have been restoring old Mustangs since the 80's, and got into the newer Mustangs in 98 when we bought my Vert. I have lots of sources for parts because I read Mustang Monthly and Mustang and Fords both cover to cover. I also write the newsletter for our local Mustang Club, so I usually know about used parts available, although they are local.

Don't feel like a pest, I love to see people get into the hobby, especially younger people, it keeps the hobby alive and active, brings new blood into the arena and keeps it fresh. Good Luck with your 67 Fastback, I want to know how it comes out!

Old 08-11-2004, 11:55 PM   #13
SIXTYSEVENFASTBACK
Registered Member

I am glad that this is something I am getting into!! I am an 18 year old girl that just wants a nice, fast and classic car!! Does that make sense!!!??? This will be great for me and my dad, like I said, my mom was a cop and she was killed in the line of duty and she had a car very similar to the one I am getting and its just something I have wanted for a while! Its understandable, too!! I really appreciate your help with it all!! And I will be sure to keep you informed!! Thanks!!